The Sewing Place

Claudie Jacket

Lemon Syllabub

Claudie Jacket
« on: October 08, 2021, 15:53:55 PM »
Has anyone tried this pattern  ?

I haven’t sewn for months & thought this would be a nice simple return to sewing. No collar, no buttons, no pockets, nothing fancy.

Clearly my head still isn’t in the old sewing game as I made soo many mistakes.  :boohoo:
I sewed the shoulder seams as normal, followed by the side seams.. one of which I sewed inside out????  :scream: :scream: :scream: No idea how I managed that one.
Then when I interfaced the side facings I made them identical… two left side facings.  :facepalm: Luckily I had enough fabric to cut out a replacement!
It then took me an age to work out how to bag the lining…..despite watching what seemed like hours and hours and hours of YouTube tutorials!  :boohoo:

Anyway.. just over a week later I’ve finally finished. 
:VV: :VV: :VV:It’s sort of a smart cardy and I really like it.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  The pattern is very well drafted and if it wasn’t for me being a bit rubbish on the sewing front at the moment it would have gone together very easily.  :rolleyes:

I've just noticed how many emoji thingies I've used in this post... I think I've missed posting on this forum so I'm making up for lost emojis.  :dance:

Syrinx

Re: Claudie Jacket
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 16:00:12 PM »
That looks lovely!

I always find it's the more simple patterns that cause the most headaches!

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 16:01:55 PM »
Nothing wrong with that, lovely.  It's not how you start it's how you end @Lemon Syllabub .
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 17:44:40 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about, your sewing looks very, very good to me. It reminds me very much of the iconic Channel jacket, well done  :thumbsup:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 22:06:57 PM »
Looks great! 

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »
It looks great despite the hassle.  I don't even attempt to bag linings any more.  It just scrambles my brain.  I find it quicker to sew in by hand and get a better fit.
Life's too short for ironing.

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 08:54:15 AM »
Looks good to me too!  And I love the colour.  I bet it will be a really useful basic jacket.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 10:03:17 AM »
Thank you for your really kind comments. I am chuffed with the results but I made so many silly mistakes along the way. My seam ripper definitely earned it's keep!

@Ploshkin I agree with you about hand stitching the lining but this pattern seemed a little quirky. In addition to side facings the jacket also has facings along the bottom edge of the jacket and on the sleeve hem.  >< 

So the parts that I thought should be folded over from the outer jacket and then sewn to the lining are actually fabric strips that you sew onto the lining fabric before you attach the lining (plus strips), to the outer jacket. IF that makes sense???  Perhaps this is normal but it left me a little flummoxed .... but then flummoxed seems to be my natural state of mind at the moment ... so it's all good. :o

William

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 12:27:49 PM »
Well Done! Simple and elegant - really like the colour too.
And you can be the first to leave a comment about this pattern on their website...

Congrats!!
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 16:23:36 PM »
@William Thank you.