The Sewing Place

Bobbin thread is coming up

Sara-S

Bobbin thread is coming up
« on: October 10, 2021, 22:41:41 PM »
I started a project on my machine- a Brother PE535- and the bobbin thread kept coming up from the bottom of the fabric. I tried changing the needle & checking to make sure the fabric was taut in the hoop.  The thread tension is at 4, which should be fine for this type of fabric.

I am at a loss. Any ideas?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Esme866

Re: Bobbin thread is coming up
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 01:12:45 AM »
Not familiar with your machine, but have you doubled checked to see that your bobbin is placed correctly in its case/shuttle? Then I would look to see that there's no thread or lint stuck in the bobbin area. Also, do you have your thread running thru the upper tension area properly? Is the thread on its spindle in a way that could cause it to catch on the tiny slice in the plastic, meant to hold the thread in place when it isn't being used?
Is it a new spool of thread that you've not used before?

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 01:49:44 AM »
Bobbin was definitely correct and it isn’t a new spool of thread.  I can double-check to see of it’s threaded correctly.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 07:25:10 AM »
If you have extra of any fabric you've successfully embroidered on previously hoop some up and see what happens with it. Do the exact set up you are using here, design,  stabilizer etc. That should sort out if it's the fabric, machine or operator. Esme has some good questions to check on.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 09:24:51 AM »
Apparently bobbin thread coming up usually means a problem with the upper thread - un thread it and rethread, it's often a teensy bit of thread stuck somewhere in the upper threading path.  Do NOT fiddle with bobbin tension if it was working fine up to now.

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 11:16:16 AM »
I re-threaded & tried again. Bobbin thread was still coming up. I replaced the bobbin with a fresh pre-wound bobbin and now i's working fine. Don't ask me to explain this: I can't.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:47:17 AM by Sara-S »

Esme866

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 18:32:04 PM »
I've heard others mention having problems with pre-wound bobbins from time to time. The bobbins themselves are usually not of the greatest quality and the slightest deviation in the moulding process can cause an issue.

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 20:39:09 PM »
Here's a little good news. The piece of fabric- a 12 x 12" flour-sack napkin-was ruined, for the project I was doing. There was no way I could rip out the faulty embroidery.

But I found a way to salvage the fabric.  When I do free-motion embroidery, I use one of these napkins for the front and another for the back. The back piece gets a ribbon casing  for a hanging rod.  Since the back is never seen anyway, I used the bad piece for that purpose.  I am starting a new one soon-probably Valentine's Day. Yes, I know it's kind of early (or arguably, late) for that, but I've done just about every other holiday I can think of.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:42:32 AM by Sara-S »