The Sewing Place

Winter Coat

Lemon Syllabub

Winter Coat
« on: October 11, 2021, 09:03:02 AM »
Just wondered if anyone’s making a coat this winter?

Acorn

Re: Winter Coat
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:35:38 AM »
In theory, yes... I have the fabric, lining and a bit of velvet for the collar, but I'm having trouble deciding on a pattern.  And finding the time.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:48:12 AM »
I started one 3 years ago, nothing heavy.  It is still awaiting the lining attaching to the hem, a bit of stitching at the front and a couple of snaps.  I did try it on the other day, liked what I saw, but still not finished it or thought about finishing it.  Too many other distractions at the moment.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 10:15:48 AM »
@Acorn Yes, there are lots of patterns out there. I'm hoping to get some inspiration from other people.

Earlier in the year I bought a wool check fabric thinking I might make a shacket. Then the weather warmed up so I didn’t bother. Last week I was looking round M&S and it seemed FULL of checked shackets and all I could think was in a few months time the Sale rails will be full of these!
Needless to say now I don’t want to make one.

I only bought 2m  :boohoo: of this lovely cosy coat fabric (and as the checks will need matching it will seem like less than 2m) so I’ve got a feeling finding a suitable pattern could be a bit of a challenge!  :faints:

@Gernella
Too many other distractions at the moment.
At the moment I'm trying to sew in order to take my mind off the distractions!!!

realale

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »
I'm currently making a coat for my son but I don't think that's the design you're after!!

I've made several coats and enjoy making them but have found I don't wear them so often any more. Except for my Jalie City coats, I wear those a lot!! I made those patchwork style out of denim, one using old jeans and one using proper denim from the offcuts from making my son's jeans.

The coat I got stopped for the most (people asking where I got it from or just to say how much they liked it) was a very full collared, lower calf length, fit and flare type Vogue pattern. Love that coat but probably haven't worn it since we came to Evesham, it's just not been cold enough!!
So many beers, so little time.

Starryfish

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 11:25:54 AM »
I'm going to make a Merchant and Mills September out of some heavy cotton twill. Not exactly a winter coat, but needed  when it rains , also when I wear my new midi dresses. I love making coats, and have several ones that I wear regularly.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 11:55:28 AM »
I have a coat intention from 3 or 4 years ago.

I took apart a fuchsia pink wool coat, a cape style thing, that I made forever ago and wore but it never really suited me. Unfortunately there wasn't quite enough fabric in the right shapes to cut out the one I wanted so I intended to looked for a patterned fabric - probably checks - to match in. That has not happened. But it could!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »
i bought a Vogue pattern half price recently (Vogue V8346).  The plan was to use something from the stash, but I can't decide so the pattern is still sitting there looking at me... accusingly.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

CCL

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 15:43:56 PM »
@Bumblebuncher - I am like you!  I bought a couple of vintage 1950s swing coat patterns - and they are also staring at me with almost hostility!
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 16:06:35 PM »
@Bumblebuncher what style of coat are you wanting?  I've got a few coaty patterns having had a length of fabric for some time that I'm undecided about.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 16:23:41 PM »
@Ploshkin  I have the pattern and about four different fabrics in stash that I coulduse but I suspect my problem is I don't know what I want so keep thinking and not doing  :laughing:
Thank you for the offer  :hug:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 17:17:19 PM »
@Starryfish I love that September coat but I only have 2 metres to play with.

@realale  and  @Bumblebuncher  Fit and flare Vogues look fab but unfortunately I don’t have enough fabric.

Looking at other Vogue patterns I saw this . I like how casual it looks .....in a shacket without the shirt hem or collar or buttons or workshirt pockets type of way :laughing: .... and it’s got some really good reviews. And….best of all it only takes 1.8 metres.  :dance:
I’ve ordered one so fingers crossed I might be able to make it out of my fabric.

Esme866

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 18:23:54 PM »
In theory, yes... I have the fabric, lining and .....

This was perfect!  :laughing:   
I think I can start measuring the time in decades instead of years. :faints:

We usually have about 3 to 4 days each winter when I say to myself, "I REALLY should make one of the 5 coats I have fabric for!"

Ouryve

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 18:47:50 PM »
Just wondered if anyone’s making a coat this winter?

Yep, I have plans for the Deer & Doe opium coat. I'm considering some teal wool Melton for it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ouryve

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 18:55:14 PM »
I'm currently making a coat for my son but I don't think that's the design you're after!!

I've made several coats and enjoy making them but have found I don't wear them so often any more. Except for my Jalie City coats, I wear those a lot!! I made those patchwork style out of denim, one using old jeans and one using proper denim from the offcuts from making my son's jeans.

The coat I got stopped for the most (people asking where I got it from or just to say how much they liked it) was a very full collared, lower calf length, fit and flare type Vogue pattern. Love that coat but probably haven't worn it since we came to Evesham, it's just not been cold enough!!

One problem we don't have up here in Durham is not being cold enough! Most of my coats are waterproof, though, as we get a lot of sideways, brolly wrecking, rain. I have a mostly synthetic dressy coat that never gets worn because it's neither warm nor waterproof. I've wanted a proper wool coat for years but it seems you just can't buy nice ones without selling a kidney, first.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"