The Sewing Place

Winter Coat

b15erk

Re: Winter Coat
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 19:08:40 PM »
@Ouryve , I made the Pauline Alice Quart coat last year, and very nice it was too.  I had intentions of either a modified version, or a trench coat this year, but as I've only worn the first one once, it hardly seems worth it!

I would be interested to follow, if you decide to make one...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ouryve

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 19:21:54 PM »
@Ouryve , I made the Pauline Alice Quart coat last year, and very nice it was too.  I had intentions of either a modified version, or a trench coat this year, but as I've only worn the first one once, it hardly seems worth it!

I would be interested to follow, if you decide to make one...

Jessie

That is a lovely pattern. I like the pieced detail around the bottom.

There will be a lot of new stuff for me in the Opium coat. There are a couple of things I want to get out of the way, first, including some simple stretch projects to work on my overlocker whispering with. Hopefully, by then, I will have figured out posting pictures on here.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 21:19:31 PM »
I would love to make and wear coats but because I have to drive everywhere a coat isn't suitable - it wouldn't be comfortable to wear while driving.
I have a nearly ankle length, dark grey wool and cashmere coat which I love ( not fashionable at the moment I'm sure).  I bought it 17 years ago to wear in New York in November.  It was so unseasonably warm that I didn't need more than a thin sweater!  It only gets an outing for winter funerals  :(
Life's too short for ironing.

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 02:23:42 AM »
@Ploshkin I last purchased a winter coat in February of '92, because I needed to spend 3 days in Chicago on business. It was a amazing coat, perfectly purple wool with a gorgeous shawl collar, lined and interlined - made in Russia. Kept me toasty warm in Chicago. Didn't wear it for another 7-8 years in Tennessee, when my niece was old enough to be in the Nutcracker. After 20 years, I forgot to put it in the cedar chest over the summer and moths got it.

A shorter wool coat is nice for driving. But at the mention of trench coats.......er....um....make that 7 coats in my stash. :rolleyes:

Syrinx

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 08:52:48 AM »
I really need a link to these fit and flare Vogues ladies! I adore fit and flare but because of my size/shape I can't buy OTR.

I have tonnes of coats that I wear every year, mostly tweeds and thick wools but those have been carefully selected for fit so they are mostly unexciting bar the fabrics and notions (not that I don't love them!). We're rather exposed out here in the sticks so nice coats for going places that don't involve horse clothing are a must!

I'd love to have a nice fit and flare coat that fitted and was the right length!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 12:45:05 PM »
@Syrinx
fit and flare coat
This is the one I have, and allegedly going to make at some point in my life  :\
I have a wonderful, long black wool coat which I have had over 20 years.  I wore it, got too big for it and handed it over to DD1 as it was so lovely.
I forgot that she is shorter than me and it trailed along the floor, but she didn't throw it away as she thought maybe, one year, she may shorten it (or I would) or give it back.
Last year I asked if she still had it and she ceremoniously returned it to me  :dance:
I love that coat, but it is very, very warm.
I spend summer in Biker jackets, winter in big coat but need to sort out what happens in the Autumn and Spring so had thought of a lighter weight coat.  Not happening for this Autumn so maybe in time for Spring? So far hoodie under biker jacket is working ok lol
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 16:29:43 PM »
I've bought two patterns for coats in the last three months, one a Vogue that I saw with a zip used and the second I had a bee in my bonnet for a cape coat and saw a French pattern that I really liked, unfortunately at my itchy finger time around 9 in the evening.  Cost around £23, got it, ran through the instructions, (scant) and suddenly wasn't itchy for doing it.

I would be better off finishing off the one from 2019. :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Silver Rose

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 16:35:09 PM »
@Bumblebuncher  I love that flared style of coat.  I bought Butterick 6423 Lisette coat pattern a few years ago but haven't  made it yet. My pale grey Italian  wool overcoat  that I got from BHS in a sale about 10 years ago is still going strong, it hasn't  been worn much in the last 18 months though. I made a cape in 2020 also not worn much.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 16:36:40 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

realale

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 16:46:43 PM »
This https://www.sewdirect.com/product/v8346/ is similar to the one I have which is loooong out of print. I have this one as well but haven't made it up.
So many beers, so little time.