The Sewing Place

It started with a sample swatch ...

Helcat_42

It started with a sample swatch ...
« on: October 12, 2021, 07:36:24 AM »
I am very excited to be going to a Secret Cinema Bridgerton event next year and felt that the dress needed to be extra special so I have been trying to work out the right material/outfit to wear.

I am going with two friends one who is wearing a silver brocade and the other a gold, so I felt I needed something equally opulent but a different colour. I thought colours inspired by a peacock would be a good idea but I seem to be going round and round in circles and the more fabric samples arrive the more confused i get.

The basic idea is of a square necked regency gown with a velvet sleeveless overdress over the top but which colours to go for I don't know. I am hoping some of you talented sewist will be able to help me make a decision ..

Syrinx

Re: It started with a sample swatch ...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 08:48:45 AM »
I think that teal is a great shout for the dress. It's bright and very peacock and will look good in all lights. It should also work well with the silver and gold accompanying friends!

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 10:14:44 AM »
Another yay for teal, especially with those feathers.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

realale

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 11:00:48 AM »
Another one for teal !!
So many beers, so little time.

Helcat_42

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
That's a resounding vote for teal ...

I realised that I didn't put the fabric colours on -
Can I check which one you were referring to when you all said teal?

The colours on the left (which are a velvet effect satin) I was thinking of using to line the overdress.

Diane

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 13:08:16 PM »
I love teal, one of my favorite colours, your choices all look lovely
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 14:29:08 PM »
I'm going to throw this out there, mainly because I am awkward, but I prefer the turquoise!  I think the teal may fall into the background next to gold and silver ... and we wouldn't want that would we?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 15:55:40 PM »
I prefer the turquoise too, a bit more showy  ;)
Still learning

realale

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 16:39:26 PM »
Teal, turquoise, peacock are my choices. It depends on the effect you want to go for - I'd go the brighter the better but that's me and my personality, a quieter person may want the more subdued colours. What would you feel happier wearing?
So many beers, so little time.

Syrinx

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 16:41:53 PM »
When I said teal that was what you've labelled as peacock (that's what I call teal but others may disagree!)

Helcat_42

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 10:29:42 AM »
I'm going to throw this out there, mainly because I am awkward, but I prefer the turquoise!  I think the teal may fall into the background next to gold and silver ... and we wouldn't want that would we?
BB

It's like you read my mind  :thinking:

I think with the teal taffeta it is hard to photo as it looks teal or green in different lights. I am worried that the taffeta is too stiff.

I found this beautiful metallic cobalt blue, but by the time I ordered it they had run out :( I can't find it anywhere else ...

I suspect I will end up making a couple of different options.

Helcat_42

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 10:43:13 AM »
Teal, turquoise, peacock are my choices. It depends on the effect you want to go for - I'd go the brighter the better but that's me and my personality, a quieter person may want the more subdued colours. What would you feel happier wearing?

That's a very good question; and links into the other comment re my friends wearing gold and silver.

I am also planning on making sure my hair matches the final colour choice ...

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 11:40:51 AM »
Like the turquoise myself.   But the teal looks very green and I’m not a green person.   Very difficult to label colours with a name. Used to have a lot of disagreements with people when choosing threads for them.  Khaki is one particular awkward colour,,,,,green, brown? 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »

I am also planning on making sure my hair matches the final colour choice ...

..That answers my question.  :devil: I was going to ask what color your hair was but that doesn't seem to matter. Instead, which flatters your skin tone?

I'm also secretly hoping you'll tart this up with way too much blush. I'm thinking all your colors should be intense.

BTW,  definitely the teal or one of the cobalt. Turquoise is a bit flat, especially with the gold and silver dresses. Teal is just that much richer, more intense.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Helcat_42

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 14:29:15 PM »
..That answers my question.  :devil: I was going to ask what color your hair was but that doesn't seem to matter. Instead, which flatters your skin tone?

I'm also secretly hoping you'll tart this up with way too much blush. I'm thinking all your colors should be intense.

BTW,  definitely the teal or one of the cobalt. Turquoise is a bit flat, especially with the gold and silver dresses. Teal is just that much richer, more intense.

I generally tend to be some shade of purple or other (have done all the colours of the rainbow - sometimes at the same time); but at the moment more of a red/orange tequilla sunrise affair ...

I had an idea (completely stolen from the Queen Ravenna thread be elisep on "Show Must Go On" Board here) of making a feather collar with peacock feathers ...