The Sewing Place

Bride's dress

Bumblebuncher

Bride's dress
« on: October 13, 2021, 08:07:10 AM »
So I trundled off to the pub as usual last night after measuring GS's for PJ's and met up with BFF, we were late.
She asked why and I told her.
Another, shall we say acquaintance not friend but we get on really well (another Londoner in the sticks), stared at me.
'You sew?'
I cautiously answered yes.  You just know whats coming next don't you?
Can you take up my curtains? Or put a zip in my jeans?
But no..
'Can you make a 1950's dress for my wedding?'
Interest piqued she showed me the pic of what she wanted.  I showed her pics of DD1's wedding and the 1950's dresses they all wore  :D
All excited now, I'm making her wedding dress  :dance:
She was like a kid in a sweet shop, so happy to have found someone to make what she wanted and it was someone she knows.  I am happy to have a decent project to get my teeth into  :D
Payment?  Well that got even funnier as her OH had given her pretty much an open wallet.  We settled on a girlie weekend away for me, bride and BFF  :laughing:
He has to pay for the hotel room  :D
BFF reckons the weekend away should include shopping for fabric for the dress, I said I don't care as long as it is near a bar  :laughing:
BFF is going over brides house this morning to show her decent wedding photos, this should be fun
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Cazlyn

Re: Bride's dress
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 08:49:22 AM »
Ooh what a lovely project for you - enjoy x
Crafting is my happy place

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 09:29:04 AM »
Sounds fun.
Looking forward to seeing pics of fabric shopping (your drunken girlie weekend).  :laughing:

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 09:51:44 AM »
That sounds like a really fun project @Bumblebuncher !

I do hope you are allowed to keep us updated - we won't tell!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 14:35:26 PM »
Absolutely can keep updated, only person out of the loop is the man paying for the weekend away and I don't think he will come on here  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

charlotte

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »
So looking forward to following this!  :loveit:

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »
Ooh how lovely!  exciting stuff, look forward to seeing your photos!  And I'm in awe.  xx

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »
This is the pattern I immediately knew I had when bride showed me the pic of what she wanted!
Vogue dress pattern
The only difference being the short sleeves as she wants sleeveless.
I may even venture down the route of an integral corset.
Of course, at this point, she may change her  mind as the wedding is in June, so nothing committed yet.
 :dance:
BB

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 15:53:21 PM »
Love it  :laughing: :laughing:

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 15:53:49 PM »
I was going to say make sure you go to the fabric shop before the bar, but it might be more fun the other way around...  ;)

Gorgeous dress.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 16:24:39 PM »
@Acorn I was thinking bar, fabric shop, bar  :VV:
BB

Helcat_42

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 14:23:58 PM »
@Acorn I was thinking bar, fabric shop, bar  :VV:
BB
then back to the Fabric shop again?  :thumbsup:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 14:44:15 PM »
BFF talked oop t'north and offered to drive.  That would mean a visit to Immanuels and Abakhan and I feel the excitement may be too much for me at the moment :D
BB

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 22:58:52 PM »
Fabric decided  :D a taffeta of shot purple and pink that I have in my stash :D pattern decided  :D a 50's Vogue pattern that I already had too.  Bridesmaid (did I mention that is happening too?) pattern decided as i had that pattern in my stash  :D although fabric needs to be bought for that one!
Groom trying to find a tailor but I am not going down that route  :laughing:
Day being arranged for bridesmaid fabric shopping (and maybe, well definitely, the pub/bar).  Bride asked me about fee tonight and was shocked when I was genuinely happy to make the dress for a night out  :dance:
All going as planned.  I will make a toile for both and move on from there.
It seems her bridesmaid/daughter is well endowed and as the owner and mother of well endowed bodies I am more than acquainted with the FBA so that is going well too!
All going well so far
BB

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »
@Bumblebuncher  ... Thats lovely for you but Im so sorry I must add a word of caution here.

It sounds great, much fun to be had and everybody is great friends right now!

But wedding and bridesmaids dresses are extremely sensitive things ... They are hard to make, generally because of the fabrics used and the complexity of fitting things to a more normal shape than the sculptured lines of a drawing and tensions will rise. ..

You must get paid! Properly!

for the fabrics used (whether in stash or bought) for the thread, for the embellishments they will suddenly decide they want, for the 'Oh could you just ...' that there are sure to be at least three of ...

You must value your skill, experience and time you will give up to this ... Its worth a darn sight more than a weekend away boozing.

Or it could all go swimmingly;

Bride wont turn into Bridezilla,
Bridesmaid wont be keeping secret the fact she is in her first trimester when first fitted and suddenly swell up to double the size a week before the day.
Mother of the bride wont buy some hideous outfit in Polyester from China that could only fit Twiggy and ask you 'If you could just let it out a bit ' two weeks before the day ...
and everyone remain the bestest of friends.

But letting them think you can just wave a wand and the dress will appear as if by magic as in Cinderella is selling everybody short.

And if by some miracle everything does go fabulously you'll be surprised at how very many new best friends you'll have who start coming out of the wordwork with alteration and dress requests.

I'll take my bah humbugness away ... just a thought!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again