The Sewing Place

Overcooked the thread storage

Gernella

Overcooked the thread storage
« on: October 14, 2021, 12:57:16 PM »
Over the last few weeks I've been sorting out threads and buying nice storage racks, (well two) which have worked magnificently.  Over the weekend I'd seen by accident one for larger spools, which in my head  I visualised as the existing Gutermann Mara I have lots of.  I even took note of the dimensions although was looking more at the width.

Well it arrived this morning, a big box, which either had a lot of packing inside or I'd over egged it.  Well lets say that the 5000 meter odd threads I have fit with plenty of room, but I had been sticking them in any nook and cranny I could find (they were a mistake as well) so now they have a home.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1051501442/spool-holder-rack-for-thread-cones-beech?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=thread+rack&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

Re: Overcooked the thread storage
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 13:22:00 PM »
Well that’s blown my good intentions for a frugal month :ninja:

I’ve been thinking about something like this for ages so I’ve ordered one.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 16:13:57 PM »
So pleased I could help @Ellabella she does free delivery as well and I thought I would have to  wait longer but just as quick as first  class.

I was quite pleased this afternoon, I had to use it.  So easy to get to instead of diving under on my knees to the thread boxes.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 16:27:34 PM »
HWMNBN made me one for a Christmas present long ago ... at that time I searched google but any I could find came from the USA ... Its well used!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 21:45:29 PM »
Fancy rack.  0_0 Looks very useful. I avoid racks here. With multiple cats and living in a desert during a drought I have an overabundance of cat fur and dust as well as sunlight here. None of these are thread spool friendly.  :thinking:

BTW,  my overlocker has been sitting out for 3 years now. Unused, uncovered. Poor thing. Middle of the living room, not near any sunlight, just gloomy room light. It is threaded. Three of the spools are crumbling.  :headbang: The fourth is a different type of plastic and seems fine. They have never been exposed to direct sunlight. This makes me glad I don't use racks.

My bigger cones are in plastic shoe boxes with a raised lid so they are extra tall. Exactly the right height for the cones. Those are in an armoire.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 10:24:39 AM »
Fortunately the sewing room is north facing @Renegade Sewist  and a curtain across each side where the sun rises and falls.  I've made covers for the existing racks just in case but the new one falls behind a covered sewing machine so wont be affected until I use the upper rungs.

Cat fur, not much, fortunately I fell in love with Siamese and the only place they leave fur is where they sleep and then not much.  The old lady has short hair but leaves it all over, fortunately she only comes in to steal what's left in the dishes and out again.

Machines, covered up when not in use, just in case :meow: although now he's outside more no need to go climbing and exploring.

The desert :scream: that would probably kill me.

Esme866

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 21:22:49 PM »
I think if I did a tremendous amount of quilting or fabric crafting, I might want my thread out on display as I am very color conscious. And I would want and use a collection. But with garments and home dec, there is truly no need. I never need quick access to more than 3 or 4 colors at a time and rarely more than 1 or 2. To have this type of rack on the inside of a closet door would/could be convenient.

Mostly, my bucket list includes not collecting massive amounts of thread on cones. I only have 4 at the moment- probably 45-50 years old from my Grandmother. I'll probably have at least 3 of those to leave to my neice and nephew.

Being with my Mom so much during covid - a major element on my bucket list now is decluttering and not accumulating. I so dread dealing with Mom's "stuff".

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 20:07:16 PM »

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 22:32:10 PM »
Well that arrived very quickly  :thumbsup. Sturdier than I expected and fits easily under the desk.

The only trouble is I now fancy one for my reels of Mara but I’ve spent more than enough this month, perhaps I should drop a few hints for Christmas.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »
My MO has always been buy what you really want for Christmas yourself earlier @Ellabella , then you are never disappointed.  Although this is based on the quality of the ability to take notice of my other half, definitely deaf eared.