The Sewing Place

I've finally finished a sweater

Ploshkin

I've finally finished a sweater
« on: October 14, 2021, 17:22:23 PM »
I finished knitting this about July last year but with everything packed away and 11 months of building dust I've had nowhere to lay it out to block it - until now.
I don't have any need for big, heavy sweaters and I can't stand anything woolly with a high neck.  Patterns are hard to come by that fit what I am looking for but I liked this one.  The yarn is Debbie Bliss Fine Donegal.  It's 95% wool 5% cashmere I think.  I baulked at the price but it didn't take much - only 2 balls and I got it in a sale.  I don't think it is available any more.  I soaked it in Eucalan wool wash before I blocked it and it is soft enough not to make my arms itchy.  I would always wear at least a sleeveless cotton top under anything woolly.  (I'm not really an orangey colour - light was odd)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

Re: I've finally finished a sweater
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 17:26:45 PM »
Looks great.  Worth paying  for quality yarn if you can afford it.  I’m not good with wool myself. 

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 17:39:07 PM »
That is lovely Ploshkin, like you I cannot have wool against my skin as it makes me itch so much.  glad you washed it how you did before blocking it it does make a difference.  I use a bottle of Persil for Wool and Silk for my handwashing of anything.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 17:59:49 PM »
That's lovely   :perfect10:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 18:01:36 PM »
Very, very nice, worth waiting for. :thumbsup:

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 18:02:04 PM »
I like that especially how the top is stitched.  Unfortunately I'm another where wool makes me itch.  That would be a very complicated pattern for me to follow through.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

LizHartley

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 09:19:58 AM »
Looks lovely -  :perfect10:

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 09:32:09 AM »
That is a lovely sweater @Ploshkin .  I particularly like the neck and shoulder detail.  <3

Can I be cheeky and ask what pattern you used?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 10:34:26 AM »
Really lovely a great make.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »
@b15erk not cheeky in the least.  It was a Debbie Bliss Fine Donegal pattern called Vintage Lace Sweater
I knitted the back and front in the round but i kept the sleeves flat and seamed them because I haven't got short needles for narrower tubes.

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 11:27:35 AM »
Bit mystified as to why KnitPro and cables are too long to knit sleeves in the round  :[

Fab pulli, btw.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sheilago

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 11:44:37 AM »
Lovely, @Ploshkin , I really like the neckline and the ribbing at the shoulders. I almost never knit anything bigger than for age 5- too impatient!  :laughing:

On holiday in Ireland at last, so I have my knitting/crochet with me, but it’s just a baby hat and some soap saver bags for the charity shop.

realale

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 12:34:52 PM »
Oooh, that is pretty.  :thumbsup:  I like the style and the colour. Well done  :perfect10:
So many beers, so little time.

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 13:51:04 PM »
@fkobear if you're doing magic loop so only have 2 needles it becomes difficult  smaller than a certain tube size if the needles are too long.  ((I did sleeves once and it got tricky)). You will that Knit Pro do shorter interchangeable needles for this.

sewminds

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 03:02:23 AM »
@Ploshkin Absolutely beautiful and lovely sts! :thumbsup:
Sew it needs juice!