The Sewing Place

Altering a winter coat for beginners

Arloony

Altering a winter coat for beginners
« on: October 15, 2021, 13:04:14 PM »
Hello,

My friend has asked me if I could alter her winter coats as it is too big around the waist.
The only problem is...I have NEVER done this and don't really know where to start?.. and to make it more complicated for me...the coat has a lining :(

I wonder whether you would have a "guide" on how to do this? or any Youtube videos I could watch to help me?

My friend said that she is not too bothered on how it looks but just doesn't want to give the coat away as she really likes it.

Thanking you in advance
Arlene xx :sew: :D

BrendaP

Re: Altering a winter coat for beginners
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 16:16:57 PM »
Depends how the lining is attached - if it's loose at the bottom you will be able to get at the innards of the coat without unpicking.  It it's attached the lining will have to be unpicked and then re-stitched.

How you take it in at the waist depends on the style but it's usually just tapering seams from bust level down to hip level.  Lining too would need similar tapering.  If seams are pressed open the original stitching will need to be removed, if pressed to one side the original  seams can be left in situ.  Big changes will mean clipping into the seam allowance so not reversible.

Photos would help - unless you are wanting us to say "No, it's far too complicated"  :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mudcat

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 21:54:18 PM »
I think it's far too complicated if it's not my coat. Nor would I want to risk screwing it up.  I would recommend that your friend take it to a professional. 

If the lining allows access you could baste the waist and see if that works for her before making a more permanent seam.  But if you have to undo the lining then I would refer to my paragraph above.

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 04:16:33 AM »
I'm with @mudcat on this one. If you don't feel comfortable with it, I wouldn't do it.

I only have one friend I would do this for, and it wouldn't bother me to do it, as I have the experience. But we've known each other 50 years, she's closer to me than my sister, and even though she doesn't sew, she trusts my judgement regarding sewing implicitly as I trust her on any engineering matters. We truly know and understand each others strengths and weaknesses.

With any other friends, I could see the ability for something to go wrong and end the friendship.

Plus once you cross the "could you just?....." line - it gets harder and harder to say, no. :rolleyes:

SimOneNL

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
Hello,

My friend has asked me if I could alter her winter coats as it is too big around the waist.
The only problem is...I have NEVER done this and don't really know where to start?.. and to make it more complicated for me...the coat has a lining :(

I wonder whether you would have a "guide" on how to do this? or any Youtube videos I could watch to help me?

My friend said that she is not too bothered on how it looks but just doesn't want to give the coat away as she really likes it.

Thanking you in advance
Arlene xx :sew: :D

I think you need to learn how to say ‘no’. There is nothing wrong not wanting to do alterations, particularly complex ones that mean loads of unpicking seams.

Arloony

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 17:39:07 PM »
hello everyone,

I did it!!! I did it!!!!
The coat looks like 1 size smaller, my friend is really happy about it and me too! :)

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Thank you for your input
Arlene  :sew: :thread:

jen

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 08:36:19 AM »
Well done! I was reading down this thread and veering towards the ‘don’t touch it with a barge pole camp’, but you’ve managed it  :VV:

Arloony

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 11:33:30 AM »
@jen where about do you live in France?

jen

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 12:46:02 PM »
Brittany.