The Sewing Place

New overlocker

Helen M

Re: New overlocker
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 10:10:47 AM »
It's a Janome coverpro 1000.

A friend has said that the Bernina coverstitch is wonderful, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to pay so much for such a specialized machine. I may well change my mind once I've had a go on it, so we shall see.

Mine is the 1000CPX and can be temperamental too but since I lowered the feed dogs at the back it has been much better. Would love a Babylock if it's not a combined one but not sure I can take another learning curve....... ;).
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 12:12:15 PM »
@Helen M the Babylock coverstitch doesn’t have a learning curve.  It just sews! :thumbsup:

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 17:13:14 PM »
@Helen M the Babylock coverstitch doesn’t have a learning curve.  It just sews! :thumbsup:

That must mean it's computerised? Not keen if that's the case. :(

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 17:27:54 PM »
No @Helen M it just behaves itself! 

See videos here
https://www.babylock.co.uk/naehmaschinen/coverstitch

They are pricey but I love mine. 

Ellabella

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 19:23:00 PM »
I bought a Babylock OL and it just works ! :VV:

No adjusting tensions or twiddling dials, thread it (easy) and then away you go. It gives a lovely consistent stitch and has sewn everything I’ve thrown at it.

Not computerised, just good engineering.

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 19:57:10 PM »
I'll have to wait until I can see one in the flesh! To be honest I don't have many problems with my Janome especially since I altered the feed dogs.

Kad

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 10:19:40 AM »
I see that Janome have introduced a 5 - thread coverstitch machine - CoverPro 3000P. It will be able to do the additional top cover stitches that my Brother one has. I wonder if the quirks of the previous models have been solved?
I mainly use the top cover stitch as a decorative element on plain fabric.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ouryve

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 17:19:07 PM »
I know this has moved on, since it started, but I settled on a Bernina L450, I I bought my overlocker, this summer. Sturdy, relatively quiet, straightforward to thread and rarely needs much in the way of adjustment.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 19:25:23 PM »
I know this has moved on, since it started, but I settled on a Bernina L450, I I bought my overlocker, this summer. Sturdy, relatively quiet, straightforward to thread and rarely needs much in the way of adjustment.
@Ouryve it was the L450 or L460 that I used in that class last year. Sweet machine.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.