The Sewing Place

Important Advice - urgent!

Catllar

Important Advice - urgent!
« on: October 16, 2021, 18:22:55 PM »
So today we went to the seaside to make themost of the glorious weather we're enjoying. On the way back it occurred to me I could stop in to Mondial Tissus to purchase some cotton wadding.  No sign of any cotton- only the poly stuff - so I asked the young lady who said - and this is why I thought you all need to know this - "No such thing, doesn't exist" Er yes it does, maybe you just don't have it, was my reply. Only to be told very firmly that if she hadn't heard of it and didn't have it then it doesn't exist.

I do wonder why I ever go into that shop - I usually come out annoyed and empty handed!

So this is a public health warning to all of you quilters :  Please be aware that if you are sewing with cotton wadding of any sort that you are wasting your time because you are hallucinating.  Book an urgent appointment with your GP.

Ordered it on Doughty's when I got home.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

Re: Important Advice - urgent!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 18:39:38 PM »
Oh no!  I wonder what  I was selling all those years.  :scream:

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 19:03:44 PM »
hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhaah    :laughing:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 19:26:28 PM »
Many years ago there was a wonderful Aladin's cave of haberdashery in Gravesend (Betty Bunts) and I used to take the view that if they didn't stock it then it couldn't be had - until the day I asked for brass lacemaking pins only to be told that pins are not made of brass and that they were unobtainable.  Oh yes they are, they just bend easily.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 20:13:34 PM »
 :laughing: :dance: :laughing: :perfect10:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 05:29:25 AM »
Oh no!  I wonder what  I was selling all those years.  :scream:

Dreams. You were selling dreams.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Esme866

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 06:51:36 AM »
Not to get into anything political, but on this side of the pond there is an issue with women over a "certain age" and of a particular skin tone that have had a moniker assigned to them beginning with the letter "k". When said women, as individuals, misbehave in public, it has become an acceptable " trend" to declare these events to be actual "news". Make no mistake - the behavior is usually egregious and virtually never happened as little as 20 years ago - but this particular group of women are absolutely not alone in their refusal to behave properly in today's society - yet only these women are singled out for national news coverage. I try not to look most days, but it's like someone is plopping a bloody car wreck at your front door. (I'm using the U.S. meaning of "bloody" in this instance, but it could work both ways)

Anyhow, today's k-word catastrophe involved a verbal explosion directed at a retail worker. Said anti-social woman allegedly screamed at the worker that she - the worker - was "worthless". ><

I personally have years/decades of retail customer service under my belt, and I have had lying, literally thieving, customers slander me to our corporate office. (No one believed the customer) and I even had a man strike me with an object when he was unhappy with a new store policy. (It was Christmas - I just excused myself to the long queue at my register and went to the stockroom and cried for 15 minutes. My boss later said not one customer complained - they just all moved to the ends of the other long lines!)

@Catllar I have ran into the type of worker you described - SO MANY TIMES - over the last 2 decades! It really begins to feel as if we are existing in an alternate reality.

Nope. With today's k-word catastrophe, I'd have to see the entire altercation in order to determine if the word "worthless" was used incorrectly. Rude? Yes. Dumb? Of course - if you're still expecting service. Possibly 100% true? Oh yeah. I've met far too many "workers" that fit that definition in recent years. I just mostly keep my mouth shut - except for the small amounts of acidic sarcasm I must quietly release in order to properly maintain my blood pressure. :rant:

Bill

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 12:25:38 PM »
Barely a year into sewing and even I know that  :scream: :scream: :scream:
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 18:59:45 PM »
Not to get into anything political, but on this side of the pond there is an issue with women over a "certain age" and of a particular skin tone that have had a moniker assigned to them beginning with the letter "k".

I suppose the make equivalent is Dick.  :laughing:

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 10:13:21 AM »
I ordered my batting from Doughty's and have more than 10UK Pounds shipping  cost for 3 metres of the stuff - Still when it does arrive I could take pleasure in showing it to the numpty in the fabric shop, but I won't!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 12:13:24 PM »
No not cotton batting!   Can’t possibly be @Catllar  :thinking:

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 00:15:08 AM »
A quilt shop assistant near my husbands' work said there was no such thing as dissolving thread for basting.....no wonder the stuff disappears when I wash my finished quilt.....I always thought it was because the water dissolved it but how wrong could I have been...it disappears because it was never there in the first place!  0_0 :S 
Stupid, silly saleslady :angry:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 03:11:05 AM »
@rubywishes her American cousin apparently worked at Hancock Fabrics before they closed operations. One Spring their sales flyer had linen look (polyester), linen (actual natural fiber) and 100% Irish linen (the Holy Grail). Full of anticipation I went forth, yardage requirements in hand. All I could find was the poly crap stuff. I enquire of the assistant manager where the linen and Irish linen are. She points to where I've been. I tell her that's polyester linen look not actual linen. She looks at me like I'm an idiot,  IQ lower than a goldfish, rolls her eyes and snidely says that is real linen, linen is made from polyester. I tell her no, not accurate and find the manager who is appalled and quickly ushers me to the good stuff which was flat on a table. She offered me a better discount than the posted sale price.

The Irish linen really is nice.

Esme866

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 05:17:54 AM »
@Renegade Sewist

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I miss Hancock's so much.......... :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 06:37:19 AM »
@Esme866 I miss the old Hancock's. They had really changed starting 5 or 6 years before they closed. New upper management, all men, no textile experience,  no clue who their customers were or what they wanted. Two big wigs were in one of the local stores one day and we had a chat. I could have been managing one of the stores by the following week if I had wanted to.

What I miss is the manager who frequently gave me extra discounts, the cashier that would give me culled oop vogue patterns and pattern books and their pattern section being just inside the door in a well lit area. Also the occasional fantastic fabric that would come in for a big sale. Like the exquisite cotton/rayon faille that came in with the mystery black fabrics for Hallowe'en one year at $2 per yard. It was a bolt, 11 or 12 yards and they estimated it as 5 yards with a grin.