The Sewing Place

My new Machine

ScubaGirl

My new Machine
« on: October 17, 2021, 13:46:03 PM »
I don't know where else to share my excitement but here, so I hope you can share my excitement.  I bought a new machine. Weee!!!  :dance:

I found it very interesting to go machine shopping in Borneo, Malaysia. I considered online, but I heard nightmares about damaged stuff and would likely have problems with servicing. Plus I'm a huge fan of shopping local if possible (and in this case, not national, but local to the state and/or the island). So I discovered there are basically only 2 shops (I think some closed down with covid.) There's a Singer dealer, and a Brother dealer...lol. That's it. But I had tons of time in 2 different quarantines to research, and research, and, well, more research. So I was ready in the even I couldn't get the Juki I wanted. Despite all the "challenges", I actually think I couldn't have picked a better machine, even with all the options out there.

Anyway, here she is.... she's a Brother Innov-is A80. So shiny and pretty. She needs a name.  :thinking:  Open to suggestions.  :D

Lowena

Re: My new Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 14:19:22 PM »
I'm very happy with my Brother machine. It's a Brother Innovis 1800q and I've had it about 5years.
I'm not a fan of naming inanimate objects  ( why would you? It's a machine! )  :rolleyes: so I can't help....however, I expect some people will have pertinent suggestions .
Good luck with the machine and happy sewing  :VV:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 15:26:05 PM »
"My new Machine", I'm like a moth to the flame when I see that in a post @ScubaGirl .  Looks luscious with lots of bells and whistles.  I'm sure you will get lots of enjoyment out of that and lovely things to wear.  Enjoy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 16:41:42 PM »
@Lowena GS asked me why I gave my sewing machines names. I asked him if his toys had names and of course they did!
'Well these are my toys, so they have names'  :laughing:
He couldn't argue with my logic
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

LizHartley

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 16:43:14 PM »
Looks really very nice  - hope it serves you well -  enjoy :thumbsup:

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 17:45:45 PM »
Very exciting @ScubaGirl . Enjoy it! Do you get half term out there? In the UK it's next week.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 17:49:35 PM »
Well done and have loads of fun...

Good swerve with the Juki, the later ones have not had the best reviews of late.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 18:49:44 PM »
Lovely machine. I’ve got 3 Brother sewing machines so good choice!  :P

How about Sabrina the sewing machine?

Combo of Sabah and a girls name.  :)

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 19:02:15 PM »
@Bumblebuncher my gds obviously take after me....each of their dolls were called " doll" and their teddies were " teddy"  :laughing:
I just don't get the naming of "things"
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Cazlyn

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 20:09:02 PM »
Congrats on your purchase @ScubaGirl enjoy x
Crafting is my happy place

Bill

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 20:27:59 PM »
I'm on my 2nd brother machine. They're brilliant. Especially the needle threader. It's a work of art. And they're soooooooo quiet!
Enjoy it :)
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 22:15:31 PM »
It's  a great machine @ScubaGirl  enjoy it.
Still learning

Esme866

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 23:17:29 PM »
Congrats on the new machine! Buying local on a machine makes so much sense to me, especially given your circumstances.

Naming machines seemed foreign to me in the beginning. But now, it makes sense - especially if you wind up with a herd. To me, it helps me remember to give them the attention they need to perform well. At first, my names were uninspired. My Kenmore = Kenny. Serger = Serge. Morse =  Morris. Then I got my Singer treadle and was stumped, until I thought, " Whose my favorite Singer? Easy: Anita Baker. Boom! Anita! That one stuck easily. Now the Serger is Sergio and I've already named the donor machine I plan to buy for Kenny: Griffey! (Brownie points to anyone that figures out that one!)

For a girls name: Something tropical island related. If I bought a Brother, I'd name it Norman. (The brother of 2 good friends I was crushing on back in the day- definition of Tall, Dark and Handsome!) Any secret crushes?

ScubaGirl

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 01:53:58 AM »
Thanks for enjoying this with me.

I have always named things. Haha. Maybe it's my crazy creative musician in me... My car's have always had names. My guitar has a name. I personify objects all the time and my students roll their eyes at me. For example (as a music teacher) I tell them how lonely their instruments get when they don't get played.  :laughing:

@Lachica Yes, I am just beginning my mid-term break. My school follows a Cambridge/English curriculum, so we tend to follow the British holidays mostly.

@WildAtlanticWay Oooo, Sabrina is nice....

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 06:21:52 AM »
Naming things is important ... I had the Splurge which I sold to Fran to fund The Splurgess and Elvis was upgraded to Elvistoo.

Most of my quilts are named as well (Ya Boo sucks @Lowena    :P )

Yes definitely name him/her ... it will come to you @ScubaGirl
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again