The Sewing Place

Sharing my treadles

kowgiirl.up

Sharing my treadles
« on: October 17, 2021, 15:47:44 PM »
I’m new here but wanted to share a couple of cool sewing machines I have. Actually the DH owns one and I the other..

His is a 127 Singer that belonged to his Grandmother who used to do book binding on her farm in Montana. His Mom made his baby clothes on that same machine. She inherited it after her Mom passed and had to get the cabinet refinished. At some point while Grandma had the machine she decided to paint the cabinet orange. She painted most of her furniture orange. Musta been a thing at some point.
Now we have had it for the last 20 years.It had been ages since anyone used it. It was frozen up when we took it over but elbow grease freed it up and boy does it ever sew.

My machine is a Singer 66 Red Eye that I am restoring. I bought it a week ago. The hubby says it’s a boat anchor since it needs a lot of work but has helped me with a couple of things- like getting screws out cause he is good at that as well as opening jars.  This machine was frozen up and the cabinet is damaged. I’ve cleaning the machine head and now it’s waiting for parts. I tore the cabinet apart and am working on getting the finished cleaned up. I can’t wait to see how well it sews. I plan on using them both so they are not going to be decor.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 15:55:28 PM by kowgiirl.up »
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Sharing my treadles
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 18:54:22 PM »
Oooo, machine envy!!   :thumbsup:

They’re both lovely machines. Good luck with the restoration and please keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 19:18:19 PM »
They look like lovely machines and so great that the 127 has been passed down through your DH's family. Enjoy your restoration project.

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 02:06:53 AM »
@kowgiirl.up I think that may be the prettiest 127 I've ever seen! It's in amazing shape.

It explains why your husband considers your 66 to be a "boat anchor". It's one of the nicest red eyes I've seen. Oceans above boat anchor category. ;)

He'd have a kiniption fit over my 15-88. It looked great when my Mom purchased it 18 years ago - though not as nice as your 127. Someone had already refurbished it nicely. However sitting unused in its cabinet in the dark, in Mom's climate controlled dining room, I opened for 15 years, she somehow managed to craze and chip dreadfully. Still sews beautifully, but she's slated for a paint job and new decals in the near future. A task I'm not looking forward to. You'll not have that problem with either machine. Lucky you!

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 07:33:35 AM »
Two beauties,  good luck with  your restoration.
Still learning

Mick

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 21:17:09 PM »

My machine is a Singer 66 Red Eye that I am restoring. I bought it a week ago. The hubby says it’s a boat anchor since it needs a lot of work but has helped me with a couple of things- like getting screws out cause he is good at that as well as opening jars.  This machine was frozen up and the cabinet is damaged. I’ve cleaning the machine head and now it’s waiting for parts. I tore the cabinet apart and am working on getting the finished cleaned up. I can’t wait to see how well it sews. I plan on using them both so they are not going to be decor.

They are both beautiful machines, and you should use them. These machines were designed to be repaired and are always fixable, with a bit of time and patience. The secret, apparently, is plenty of oil.

I use a 66 on a treadle cabinet. Mine is a Lotus pattern, built in Scotland in 1917.

Yes, I'm sad enough to have researched it's history... :rolleyes:

I find sewing with it is a kind of Zen experience, calming and quiet.
No electric motor whizzing, no buttons to press or fancy stitch patterns to try to find uses for.
It just does the one thing, and does it very well.

Please, keep us posted with the restoration.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 15:11:15 PM »
He'd have a kiniption fit over my 15-88. It looked great when my Mom purchased it 18 years ago - though not as nice as your 127. Someone had already refurbished it nicely. However sitting unused in its cabinet in the dark, in Mom's climate controlled dining room, I opened for 15 years, she somehow managed to craze and chip dreadfully. Still sews beautifully, but she's slated for a paint job and new decals in the near future. A task I'm not looking forward to.

Oh, that is so awful. You would never expect the paint to craze in that environment. How disappointing.

Mine had/has some crazing on the bed and I did the unspeakable. I got after it with 0000 steel wool. If you read articles written by folks that restore machines they will tell you that is a HUGE no no. So far the sewing machine police have not come to my door to take away the machine  :laughing:
Keep me posted when you take on the task of getting the old girl a facelift.

Below if a pic of the crazing.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 15:23:25 PM by kowgiirl.up »

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 15:18:58 PM »

I use a 66 on a treadle cabinet. Mine is a Lotus pattern, built in Scotland in 1917.

Yes, I'm sad enough to have researched it's history... :rolleyes:

I find sewing with it is a kind of Zen experience, calming and quiet.
No electric motor whizzing, no buttons to press or fancy stitch patterns to try to find uses for.
It just does the one thing, and does it very well.

I saw a Lotus when I first started looking for a 66. At that time I did not know that it was a 66. I know better now. The Lotus pattern is beautiful. I do wonder how Singer decided on decals.

I am not good enough at treading yet but when I sit at the machine, to me, it’s like stepping back in time. I love it.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 15:35:40 PM »
Many posts from me today :-)

Some asked for updates on the progress.

It’s in parts and pieces scattered all over our shop. Some metal parts are soaking in Evapo-Rust while others have received a coat of Howard’s.

The top is giving me trouble though. We stained it but didn’t seal it. I thought that Howard’s Feed & Wax would seal the stain but so far it’s still bleeding.  I might end up having to sand it off  :rolleyes: There were a few dents in the top that I used steam on (at the hubby’s suggestion) which worked pretty well. I’m quite enjoying the process of fixing the old girl up.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 20:15:21 PM »
Beautiful machines.

LizHartley

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 19:53:22 PM »
one of these machines was part of the furniture when I was younger - nice to see one getting a restoration - not sure I would have one to use now though - how times have changed - hope all goes well for your efforts 

maliw

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »
I learned to sew on a treadle machine many moons ago, lovely machine and mum always regretted getting rid of it for an electric one.
Good luck with the restoration, I'm sure it will be worth it.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 23:40:40 PM »

The top is still bleeding but less and less. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stops completely in another day or two.

The treadle base is all ripped apart. One thing lead to another and then it was in pieces. One of the legs is cracked (not sure if I mentioned it). I decided to leave it as is for now since I don't think it will be a problem for now.

The center draw was missing it's pins that holds from dropping out and would have me cussing. The DH made a couple of pins that exactly duplicates and work AWESOME!! Pic below.

The bobbin winder return spring is broken so he is going to try to make a new one from some piano wire we bought. I'm pretty certain is his up to that task. I just love this guy all to pieces.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 21:40:53 PM »
The bobbin winder spring turned out perfect. He said it may not hold up forever but that I "know" someone that can make me another.

The cabinet top finally quit bleeding. I just kept wiping it down until it just gave up. The color of the cabinet is not what I would love in a perfect world but that is how it came (to me anyway) so that is how it will stay. I do reserve my right to change my mind because I'm a gal afterall  ;)

The machine is going back together nicely. I found that I have some leftover screws  :thinking:
The machine also had several missing screws for hinges, needle plates and the like. I have most of those replaced now.  I had to order a new needle plate along with the bobbin cover plate and thankfully those fit well. Sure, they do not have the patina but that is ok by me. I am swapping out the presser foot bar since the 66-1 are back clampers and I want a side clamper so I can (hopefully) swap feet between the two treadles. I should be able actually sew with this in the next day or two. I'm pretty excited about that. In the beginning I figured I would have this thing all back together in a week~ I'm so silly...

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 23:52:55 PM »
It sews!

https://youtu.be/WRYJweUquIc

Not sure if this will work.