The Sewing Place

PyjamaTops

b15erk

PyjamaTops
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
It's getting cooler at night now, and I don't yet want to put the extra quilt on the bed, when it's just my shoulders feeling the chill.

So, yesterday, I had a root around t'internet, and found a couple of possibles.

First up, a really beautiful top, and I think I have a pattern which I can easily adapt.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]      [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Then there's this one, which would be lovely over a vest top

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Any suggestions for a pattern will be really helpful...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

Re: PyjamaTops
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:02:14 AM »
They are very  glamorous @b15erk  and would work. I just made a long  sleeved T shirt from warm cotton jersey to match the PJ bottoms or some with cute animals.
Still learning

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 10:05:23 AM »
Simplicity 3696 is very versatile if you can find it.  I've used it for the nightie and for a tee shirt.

I've just pulled it out of the drawer because I received a parcel of :fabric: from Immanuels yesterday which is destined to be a nightie.  Supposedly cotton jersey but it dried very quickly so I suspect it might be viscose.  Nice and soft though.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 12:08:14 PM »
Any viscose jersey I’ve had seems to take ages to dry @BrendaP

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 22:55:18 PM »
Actually I think it might be the elastane/spandex/Lycra content which makes some jerseys slow to dry.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 07:46:12 AM »
I made the Rebecca Taylor pattern right after it came out. I would not bother with the pleats and just use gathers instead. The pleats are not laid out to accommodate  breasts at all. Even gathers looked odd but not as downright weird as the pleats. Boobs just don't grow that way - if you have them. :rolleyes:

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »
I've found a couple of patterns now which I think will do the job. 

The first is a pattern which came free with a magazine, McCalls 7331, it's a Nancy Zieman pattern, and only goes up to a Size 14.  No matter, I can do a little jiggery pokery.  I've also found some fabric I can use for a toile.  So, I'm nearly set to go - lets face it, these chilly nights I need something covering my shoulders.

The second is New Look 6345, which will need a little more thinking about although sizing isn't a problem - it goes up to a 22! I decided not to go with the Vogue pattern as I don't need that level of detail for nightwear.

I just need to finish DD's Kimono, then I can move on!  :dance:

Thanks so much for your help, as always, it is much appreciated!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 15:17:09 PM »
I've just finished the toile for the first pyjama top, and I'm quite pleased, although there are some adjustments to make.

Firstly, the length.  Far too long, but easily sorted.  The weight of the toile also pulls it  down, and the fabric I'll be using is nowhere near as heavy.

Secondly the neckline.  Far too high, and the binding looks really rough on the toile, but not too bothered as I'll be cutting it off.

Then there's the sleeves.  I  like the length, but I'll adjust to make a more 'dropped' sleeve.

On the whole though, I'm happy, and hopefully the proper top will be done by the end of the week. :thumbsup:

Now on to the toile for the second top...

Jessie