The Sewing Place

Side Seam Pocket Please Help!

Lemon Syllabub

Side Seam Pocket Please Help!
« on: October 19, 2021, 11:13:46 AM »
I can't get the side seam pockets of my coat to look even vaguely presentable.   :rant:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Before I unpick the seams AGAIN and attempt to resew them (or sew them up altogether and add patch pockets! :devil:) I thought I'd ask you lovely lot if you could recommend any tips, tricks or magic dust to remedy the problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Greybird

Re: Side Seam Pocket Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 12:02:37 PM »
Don't have any magic but they might look better after pressing?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 12:05:31 PM »
I was going to say the same as @Greybird.  One thought, is the edge or opening stabilised with a lightweight fusible interfacing?   What is the fabric you’re using?   If there is any polyester in it that I might account for the bouncy look.  Can’t think of another way to put it! :)

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 12:06:32 PM »
Always press after sewing them - look way better. And when sewing the seams I always try to sew them both in the same direction so any slight stretch is in the same direction which means they sit better (so sew both sides up to waist or down to hem, not one up to waist and other down to hem if that makes sense).

It may also be that the pocket needs understitching

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »
It look almost as if the lining is too tight on the side that sits out.  The pattern matches, so it should lie flat.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
I don't know if it will be any use on this project @Lemon Syllabub , but I found a Burda method described by Catherine Daze HERE

It's the easiest method I have come across, and far better than the Vogue one I was trying to follow.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 13:08:40 PM »
What is the coat fabric?  If this has any wool in, one way of getting this flat is to use a wet cloth and hot iron to press this and then use a clapper - i.e. a wooden gadget and hold this down over the area.  If you do not have a clapper, then a wooden (clean though) rolling pin will work wonders.  Wooden rolling pins are relatively cheap, and if you have to get one then please keep this in the sewing room and use only for this purpose.  For some reason the wood absorbs the steam created and gives a lovely finish.  If in doubt about this use some scraps of the coat fabric, make a little seam, press and use the clapper or rolling pin and see the difference.  Banging away with the wooden gadget whatever is is very satisfying and can make such a difference to anything that is rather bouncy.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 13:10:42 PM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this forum.  <3 <3 <3

Thank you so much for your advice.

:grouphug:

I'll let you know how things progress.  :)

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 14:37:44 PM »
Phew!
Much happier.  :)

Brilliant advice  :dance:

Elnnina

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 14:43:32 PM »
What a difference, no wonder you are pleased with the result.  Look forward to seeing this finished.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 17:24:25 PM »
What did you do differently @Lemon Syllabub ?

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 20:12:26 PM »
@Ohsewsimple I unpicked and re sewed part of the side seams. I used interfacing on the inside edge of the pockets and understitched them. I snipped into the side seam allowance where the side meets the top and bottom of the pocket. I pressed everything in place using a damp cloth and bashed it with a clapper until it surrendered!  :dance:

It still isn’t perfect but thanks to all your help it’s so much better than it was… and if I keep my hands in the pockets hopefully no one will ever notice!  :laughing:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 22:12:51 PM »
Well they look great!   :thumbsup:

charlotte

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 16:33:19 PM »
I love a happy ending! Well done, it looks fabulous!  :VV:

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »
Super quick update ...I've finally finished  :dance:

Thanks again for all your help. <3 <3 <3

Just wanted to add... please ignore the scruffy jeans and gardening clogs.... in my head I'm wearing a sixties style A-line skirt, white knee length boots and a Baker boy cap.  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 11:56:55 AM by Lemon Syllabub »