The Sewing Place

What's this sticky fluffy stuff?

Lachica

What's this sticky fluffy stuff?
« on: October 19, 2021, 21:53:44 PM »
I've had my machine (Pfaff Creative 3) for ages. I've just (re) discovered this pack which came with the embroidery module. There are clips, which I think I've finally worked out fit on the hoop like this:  though I'm not sure why I'd need them? And this slightly sticky, fluffy stuff which looks a bit like thick stabiliser but which is cut to fit over the large hoop.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Does anyone have any idea what it's for? I wondered whether it was to cushion the edges of delicate fabric when hooping?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lachica

Re: What's this sticky fluffy stuff?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 21:56:26 PM »
Oops : photo of clip   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 22:19:24 PM »
@Lachica its called hoop ease.  It’s designed to grip the fabric in the hoop and stop it from shifting. 
I’ve got some but never used it! 
The clips are used on larger hoops to make sure there’s no shifting.  I do use them!

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 22:25:00 PM »
Thanks @Ohsewsimple. Next time I use the big hoop I'll try them both - if I remember! Sometimes I get a bit of bounce in the centre of the big hoop, maybe it'll help avoid that. I've dealt with it by winding the bobbin with embroidery thread (rather than bobbinfill) so that any bobbin thread that gets pulled to the top Is invisible.
Mary

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 11:17:36 AM »
@Lachica i often baste my fabric in the hoop after hopping the stabiliser.  Wonder if that would solve the problem.  I do use the clips sometimes if using the big hoops but boy they are a pain to get off!   :)