The Sewing Place

Applique Paper...

Acorn

Applique Paper...
« on: October 20, 2021, 08:57:33 AM »
Has anybody here used Apliquick paper, or an equivalent water soluble paper, for needle turned applique? 

If you used Apliquick, where did you get it (in the UK) and what did you think?  If you used the Pellon or Hugs-n-Kisses version, was it OK?  The feedback on Amazon for the Pellon version isn't brilliant, but that seems to be because it doesn't dissolve completely, which, I think, should not be a problem for applique.

Any advice or comment would be extremely welcome!!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

Re: Applique Paper...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 19:26:36 PM »
I loved the Apliquick stand at FOQ, they were very good but was aghast at the prices  so cant comment on their products Im afraid ....

Are there papers more the Heat n Bond then ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:42:09 AM »
I've ordered some from Amazon - not Apliquick.

As far as I can tell it's paper that is fusible on one side.  You can print onto it with an inkjet printer, or trace your pattern onto it, and you iron it onto the applique fabric.  The paper is stiff enough to turn your fabric under as you stitch it down.  If you want to stick the applique to the main fabric you need to use a glue pen.  Then the paper washes away, but it does leave some fibres - but no more than you would have with fine interfacing.  I hope. 

maliw

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 13:36:43 PM »
Can you try a bit first and see what happens before you start on the big project?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 16:05:48 PM »
I think I will.  Somewhere I have a Christmas applique kit which has small pieces that I just can't do neatly by any other method, so I will have a go with that.   It arrived this morning.  It feels like thick interfacing - I may cut off a very small piece and soak it in a saucer to see what remains.

The packet suggests using it for EPP, so there can't be much residue.  I do like that idea - iron on and leave in.