The Sewing Place

spring action scissors

annierose

spring action scissors
« on: October 20, 2021, 13:53:05 PM »
Hello - as the arthritis in my hands worsens - but I can still sew - I have been wondering about 'spring action' scissors such as these:
https://www.fiskars.com/en-gb/creating/products/scissors/softouch-spring-action-general-purpose-scissors-26cm-1003873

My Ernest Wright 8" are on the waiting list to be sharpened, but I have been finding them heavy of late, and had wondered about trying a pair of these whilst waiting (I am owed a birthday gift!)

Does anyone have any helpful experience?

Elnnina

Re: spring action scissors
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 15:09:35 PM »
Annierose I have had a pair of these for a long time now and they are my go to scissors when cutting out, they really are so comfortable to  use, and I certainly would not hesitate to replace these if necessary.  I keep all my scissors well hidden away from any prying eyes and I do hope that by now if they are spotted out as they are being used, that others would leave them well alone, so far so good.  Go on spoil yourself, I think your poor arthriticy hands would be very grateful.

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 15:23:53 PM »
@annierose   I have a pair of spring action scissors and I'm not very keen on them so if you would like them, please let me know and I'll send them to you.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 15:24:40 PM »
These look very similar to some Fiskars scissors I bought  about  8 years ago and I may need to replace them  as the little orange locking device  came off so the scissors  could  not close. They were fixed  and closed  by someone without  arthritic hands but I would  like to replace them but haven't found anything similar.  Thank  you for the Info  @annierose .
Still learning

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 16:08:10 PM »
Silver Rose I have just read your bit about the scissors not closing, mine can be a bit iffy, so to make sure they are closed and do not spring open I have wrapped a piece of fabric around  the handle part  - a longish strip about 2cms wide and so far it is working, and as they are kept in a box when not in use they are fine.

annierose

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 16:27:35 PM »
So Chic - that is very kind, and I will accept with thanks. I will PM you.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 19:24:41 PM »
These look very similar to some Fiskars scissors I bought  about  8 years ago and I may need to replace them  as the little orange locking device  came off so the scissors  could  not close. They were fixed  and closed  by someone without  arthritic hands but I would  like to replace them but haven't found anything similar.  Thank  you for the Info  @annierose .

These are mine, I use a hair bungee to keep the locking clip from moving. They are very good cutters but the lock clip keeps slipping down and locking the when they close.  The bungee stop them from doing that. :)
Willing but not always able :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 19:31:32 PM »
@annierose mine are over 30 years old. Love them to bits. Not as nice of a handle but so nice to the hands. I was having carpal tunnel problems back then. It's nice to have them open back up for you. I have little Fiskar snips that do the same thing.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Esme866

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 03:16:23 AM »
My arthritis is just bad enough that my knuckles make using my Gingher tailor points for trimming an absolute pain. Had to use my left hand to remove them from my right.

So a few years ago, I treated myself to Kai 9-1/2" dressmakers shears for my Merry Christmas to me. I loved them! Two weeks later, on Christmas, my sis gave me a pair of Gingher shears. Had to pretend I was excited. But then....

It turns out, using each pair of scissors slightly differs the way hand muscles are used, and they place pressure on my joints in different ways.So I switch between the two- and my hands appreciate it!

Even if you find spring action you like, having 2 or three different pairs to switch between can really help.

annierose

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 17:58:21 PM »
A very big thank you to So Chic, who sent me the Fiskars scissors she mentioned. We have a village fundraiser soon, and this afternoon has been spent cutting up my left-over fabric to make neckwarmers and scrunchies. The scissors are great. I have in the past given away stuff on the board, and am very happy to be on the receiving end!