The Sewing Place

The Mending Thread

SewRuthieSews

The Mending Thread
« on: October 21, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »
Whilst definitely not in the same league as @Sandra (who does this professionally!) Yesterday I did a load of mending jobs.

These are just the ones I had access to (not the bag of outstanding mending I packed somewhere).

Anywhere here goes with the first one

Issue: Had some aqua PJ trousers with a lovely lace trim (self sewn). I had managed to tear the lace when we were living at the apartment by climbing up a step ladder in my PJs (don't ask) and standing on the hem of one leg with the other foot.
Fix: Threaded Queenie with aqua thread and zig zagged the tear. Its not perfect but they are now back in rotation.

SewRuthieSews

Re: The Mending Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »
Number 2

Issue: PJ trousers in bright pink cotton were too long (and I needed some pink for my Rainbow Quilt).

Fix: Chopped a chunk off the bottom of each leg to cut squares for the quilt.
Then quite a while later (yesterday) threaded Queenie up with bright pink, zigzagged round the cut edge and turned up and machine hemmed.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 10:24:14 AM »
Number 3

Issue: Olive green showerproof coat, had ripped patch pocket (think I'd caught it on a door handle rushing somewhere one day).
Fix: Threaded Queenie up in Olive green thread, unpicked a lining side seam (to turn the jacket inside out) then realised it wasn't going to help me as it was a topstitched patch pocket. Unpicked the other lining side seam, a bit and then some more, and even more. Managed to get it under the machine. Restitched the pocket with various zig zag and straight stitches for reinforcing. Astonishingly had not stitched through the lining at any point!!!
Removed from the machine. Carefully (and flipping slowly) hand stitched (ladder stitch I think it is - so invisible nearly) both of the lining side seams in ivory thread (as lining different colour to coat outer).

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:44:40 AM »
Number 4

Issue: Another coat, this one has a drawstring thingy at the waist which gives some shape, had pulled one end out of the drawstring and was like wearing a big square blob.

Fix: Lots of turning inside and out, pulling the adjuster things and feeling for the cord/cords.
Discovered that there is only one cord, which is stitched into a seam somewhere one end and then comes through 2 eyelets inside with an adjuster thingy. So all that had happened to mine was the cord had frayed and come out of the seam and the eyelet. In the end I had to unpick a bit of the interior casing, thread the cord back through the adjuster and the eyelet and then handstitched to secure the end and backstitched up the casing I had unpicked.
Not super pretty but it does now work and the shaping is back in the coat.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 10:46:49 AM »
Number 5

Issue: Another waterproof coat, this one I had managed to rip the underarm seam.

Fix: After much looking at if I could unpick lining seams and what was happening in the hole, it became apparent that the seam were taped and it was going to be very tricky, so ended up ladder stitching the hole with double thread - see how that holds up.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 10:47:56 AM »
There were other things in the mending queue, but after those projects I just shoved them back in the cupboard for another day!
Good to have 3 coats and two pairs of PJ trousers back in circulation.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »
Very satisfying I’m sure!   

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
Don't you love it when you have a free chair again (that's where my mending pile lives)?

I have two pairs of trousers and a sweater glaring at me as I write... :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 13:53:56 PM »
I currently have a pair of shorts, with a tear in the backside, acting as a dust cover for my Featherweight.  I won't be wearing them until next summer so there's no rush  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 14:25:19 PM »
I have done some mending this morning. I had a perfectly good pair of tights that had split open on the back seam (no cheeky comments please - I am sure the seam hadn't been made properly in the first place!). Rather than throw them away I have redone the seam on the overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 14:31:46 PM »
I patched a pair of " round the house " trackie trousers for OH :angel:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 15:21:07 PM »
See how satisfying it is to plod through a pile of sewing jobs.  :thumbsup:
You must be feeling pleased with yourself.  :angel:

Sandra.
xxx