The Sewing Place

Sewing room in new house

SewRuthieSews

Sewing room in new house
« on: October 21, 2021, 18:58:22 PM »
Happily I have a sewing room in the new house.
It has a futon in it, which the old one didn't but is good for OH to sit on and chat with me, and also for any extra guests.

Having unpacked some sewing stuff the room seems to have its own theme which is white and light wood furniture and then a few storage boxes, a sewing box etc which are mostly a warmer pink with green.
I've temporarily covered the old futon with an off white cotton throw and stuck some coral pink cushions from the old house.

I am working away on a rainbow quilt I thought might cover the futon, but think it'll end up on one of the beds instead.

So far I have all the machines, thread sewing tools/feet etc in but have left most of the fabric elsewhere in sealed plastic tubs. Ditto sewing magazines and some patterns.

I think I would like to replace the bookcase with two narrower ones and rearrange things slightly.
The layout is interesting avoiding the wall lights, radiator, power points door etc but seems to work quite well.

b15erk

Re: Sewing room in new house
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 19:10:53 PM »
@SewRuthieSews , you are very wise not to bring everything in at once.  Bringing stuff in a bit at a time lets you see exactly what you will keep, and what needs re-homing.

I brought it all in, and guess what?  I'm still living with most of it!!  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 19:21:53 PM »
I chucked everything in my bijou-sized sewing room when we moved in and that included photography stuff, costumes, leftover school stuff...
I managed to find enough space to work but things were beginning to take root. Thanks to the window job, I had to move a lot of boxes out and they will stay in the en-suite shower cubicle until they're properly sorted. We have another shower in the bathroom which is easier to control so it's no great loss.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 07:45:42 AM »
they will stay in the en-suite shower cubicle until they're properly sorted

????????///  :o  :S

@SewRuthieSews  ... Pics, we need pics!!!

Billy bookcases are a cheap yet stylish solution to tall narrow bookcases if youre closeish to an Ikea ... £25 but you do need to be able to collect them yourself as delivery costs more than the bookcase (I believe)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 09:40:57 AM »
No room for a Billy bookcase at all, sadly. Furniture delivery from IKEA is £40. Bristol is 30 miles which would be OK if we were going there anyway.

I don't want to clog up Ruthie's sewing room with my stuff, I'll do a Flo'sewingroom fred sometime.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 10:03:27 AM »
Yes @Iminei there's an Ikea near Nottingham, so we can go back for them at some later point.
There's a unit we want for the bathroom as well.

I suppose I can do pictures, nothing hugely exciting going on though.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
Yes pickies please :loveit:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 12:02:04 PM »
@SewRuthieSews It may not seem exciting to you but some of us lead very sad sack lives and need to be nosey!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 15:40:30 PM »
Here is my new sewing room layout, it has been a little awkward to include the futon and work round the wall lights without blocking the powerpoints.

Futon (for extra guests) used to chill out (strips for the rainbow quilt are in order on the top of the back of the futon). The futon was at OH's apartment, we took it apart and then reassembled it here - very fiddly to do.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 15:41:33 PM »

IKEA Pax cupboard with shelves from old sewing room. Also taken apart (though when we packed up my house in July) and reassembled in the new room.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 15:42:25 PM »

In the corner I have an Ikea Kallax with inserts. We bought the Kallax shell new from Ikea, but the inserts were used via Gumtree.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 15:43:17 PM »

The sewing room is on the side of a long narrow single storey house, so the view out the side is of the fence and neighbour's lean to. No curtain rail yet, but plan to add one for guests at some later point.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 15:44:12 PM »

Here I have a fixed table (Ikea Melltorp from several moves ago) and a drop leaf table (Ikea but also from Gumtree) used for the computer and the sewing machine.
The monitor and laptop are on arms on a metal pole screwed to the back of the table. They can be pulled forward for use, or pushed back when I want more sewing machine space. Also good for watching iplayer/itvhub/Youtube whilst sewing.

I used these in my old home office when working from home during lockdown, and eventually found which box I had packed them in!

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 16:10:56 PM »
Ooh, some interesting ideas there @SewRuthieSews . I hadn't thought about a drop-leaf table but I know I want a fold-downable bit on the end of my sewing desk.

Off to Bingle ...

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 16:41:20 PM »
Thank you for that  :D
I feel sooo much better for a quick nosey around someone else's sewing room  :perfect10:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."