The Sewing Place

What to do with leftover small amounts of left over fabric

BrendaP

Re: What to do with leftover small amounts of left over fabric
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 08:48:52 AM »
Jersey fabrics are more difficult to find uses for, the only real successes I've had are with a basic tee shirt pattern which I slashed diagonally and added seam allowances.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
For ideas using several fabrics together have a look at Joe Browns as they often have multi fabric garments.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »

@BrendaP these are fabulous, I wish I had more non stretch fabric scraps, I am looking at the tee shirt idea very seriously.

Really love this thread it has given me lots of ideas, I would like to keep this thread going for ideas and things people see but should we start a thread as a bit of a sew along for things people are doing now or just keep it in this thread?

I think I started this in the cafe not too sure if that matters.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »
@Celia I've moved it over to 'Fun with Fabric' and left a redirect in the Cafe so no worries there.

Great ideas @BrendaP

Celia

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
@SewRuthieSews Thank you  :hug:

b15erk

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2021, 11:22:51 AM »
Just reminded me.  This time of the year I get my box of Christmas fabric (and other colourful fabric) to make Christmas stockings.  Just made of strips, and odds and ends of embellishment.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »
Jersey fabrics are more difficult to find uses for, the only real successes I've had are with a basic tee shirt pattern which I slashed diagonally and added seam allowances.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Marcy and Katherine Tilton spring to mind

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »
I used to donate my scraps to the primary school I worked at, as well as using them for embellishment on panto costumes.  When we moved I downsized all my fabric to just what I would be likely to use and have only just started to acquire scraps again, they are moving into a drawer that was previously full of larger amounts.  Glad to see some ideas on how to use them, especially the knits as I have only recently started using them.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2021, 12:00:32 PM »
The trick is to get the perfect match with the scraps.  Quite a lot of RTW tops have a plain back and patterned front.  Not sure I'm keen on that.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

William

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2021, 17:56:38 PM »
Y'all realise you are all amazing???

For me, the wovens are easily incorpoated into other things, mostly darkside.
The knits are either sewn as undies or, when smaller, used for stuffing.

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2021, 14:56:36 PM »
@Celia This is a fantastic thread.  <3
@SewRuthieSews I love those cards and your cushions  <3
@BrendaP Love your patchwork clothes. Very clever.  <3

@Gernella I agree with you. The trick is to get the right match.  :rolleyes:

I have a few scraps of jersey that I'm keeping for contrasting necklines.
I have some cotton scraps that I may use for the inside of collar and cuff bands on shirts or perhaps for the inside yolk. I may also use them for pocket bags. .... I've also been making bias binding just incase I want to use Hong Kong seams in the future.

I know, very safe and not very creative.  :rolleyes:

I would love to try something more adventurous. There's a trend at the moment for making quilted patchwork jackets. I'd love to give it a try.

Gernella

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2021, 15:09:34 PM »
I've got a Tamerack pattern you can have if you want @Lemon Syllabub .  I never cut it out, just transferred it over.  It was a success, apart from the fabric was more brown than beige, so tried on but never worn because I don't like brown.  If I were honest it was the wrong fabric altogether, too lightweight and a wool mix.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2021, 15:33:23 PM »
@Gernella Thank you that's very kind.  <3

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2021, 06:31:31 AM »
I went looking at current patchwork coats after @Lemon Syllabub mentioned them and found this lovely at HeyByeShop of etsy on another website. Long gone, the combo of plaid, floral and leopard are whimsical. What I really like is the simplicity of what I'd call a barn coat. I think it would be fun for knocking around on lazy days or working in the garden.

Does anyone know of a similar very simple, no darts in front jacket like this? Easy of course to eliminate pockets or add side seam pockets. Or a simple patch pocket or two to the lining.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2021, 16:44:12 PM »
@Renegade Sewist I found this round up of patterns if any of these are any good? There's also this very simple one from Fibre Mood.