The Sewing Place

What to do with leftover small amounts of left over fabric

Celia

What to do with leftover small amounts of left over fabric
« on: October 22, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »
I went to a WI meeting about climate change along with that and a comment by Patric Grant i am looking at what we have left when we sew garments. Apparently home sewers waste about 30% of all the fabric we buy.

My problem is I use a lot of stretch fabrics, at the moment i have 2 lots of left over scraps i am about to bin but have stopped myself and am going to make something from them.  Would anyone join in?

Could we set up a thread for something like this?

Let me know what you think?

SewRuthieSews

Re: What to do with leftover small amounts of left over fabric
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »
Sure, I have had interest in this in the past, happy to share ideas.

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »
Sounds like a good idea but will you wear or use the items?

I used to keep left overs but last week I realistically looked at them and thought it's a waste of my time as I wouldn't wear or use items so they either were binned or a couple of large pieces went into the  Oxfam bag. I felt a lot better after they were gone!

It's all very well to blame us for waste but the pattern companies very often exaggerate the amount you need and we don't always buy with a project in mind.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SewRuthieSews

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 10:34:00 AM »
T shirts from multiple knit leftovers

Or a pouffe made from and filled with scraps
 Closet Case Patterns - https://closetcasepatterns.com/fabric-floor-pouf-free-sewing-pattern/

SewRuthieSews

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 10:37:36 AM »
Christmas decs

Hats gloves and belt

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 10:38:06 AM »
Some are usable for appliqué.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 10:39:27 AM »
Little cami tops - pieced

Mini bunting

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 10:41:20 AM »
I've been lucky just lately, I've matched the leftovers with remnants and been able to make a second.  I would have had enough to make another top on my latest, if it had not been for having to make another sleeve.  But there was enough left to make, in my opinion, a jumper for a child, so I've offered it on my local Nextdoor site, which is where my leftovers go, not straight away, I hang onto first.

I must admit pattern companies generally exaggerate the mount required.  Fortunately when I started sewing I was cash poor so I soon learned how to put a pattern on correctly and not waste fabric.  I think they round it up 1.7 lets call it 2 meters.

I have done tops and used a different fabric neckline, which works well but doesn't use much.  I've yet to go with @SewRuthieSews  idea, but have considered it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 10:41:58 AM »
 I think I'd be up for a thread like this as I hate waste, and save even the smallest pices which 'may come in handy'.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 11:02:48 AM »
Great thread!  :thumbsup:

I’m hoping to piece some of my knit fabric waste and make them into a Beanie style hat. I’ve seen a picture on Pinterest but haven’t worked out how to make it yet. Might try that next week.