The Sewing Place

What to do with leftover small amounts of left over fabric

Celia

Re: What to do with leftover small amounts of left over fabric
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2021, 10:08:53 AM »
Love these patchwork jacket ideas.
Yesterday I sorted the left overs from my too and cut out a pair of knickers so a bit more used up only took about 20 minutes to make them I used this pattern but cut them about 1 inch deeper https://megannielsen.com/collections/sewing-patterns/products/acacia-underwear-sewing-pattern

Gernella

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2021, 18:22:50 PM »
Actually  I've been looking at pattern weights on line to use instead of my hammer, laptop battery, spanners and other little items.  I look a bit sad when  they are on the table, so I might try my hand at these sometime in the future.  Just need to buy a couple of pounds of rice.  The ones on line weren't weighty enough and cost around £15 and I'm feeling mean (Dritz have around 4 ounces in each one).  Got lots of fabric for these as I save everything that could be possibly used again.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2021, 09:28:57 AM »
Just catching up with this thread gain after my enforced exile from the web.  I especially like the colour gradated patchwork jackets; food for thought there.

The tee shirt pttern I used was Kwik Sew 3766 but any plain tee would work.  Just slash front and back diagonally, add seam allances but make sure that the dividing seams match up at the side seam.

It works best if you can find co-ordinating fabrics with a similar amount of stretch.  My black and yellow one is fairly well matched, but the red is rather more stretchy than the pink mix.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »
Pattern weights sounds like a good idea, I use the yellow ones that Pam made they are good but I don’t like the spikes on them for somethings I make.  If you do make them I would be interested in how big and how heavy you make them @Gernella
I love that idea @BrendaP at the moment my left overs are actually too small for something like that but I will remember her for future use.

Gernella

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
I thought it was a good idea @Celia just need to find some spare time to do them, as larger jobs are far more interesting and I can wear them.  I've probably got some leftover denim that will do nicely, when I eventually move my butt.

I have found a nice easy how to video, but I think the link is on my tablet.  Basically a long strip, folded and two sides stitched, turned, rice put in and remaining sides brought  together (loop already inserted), held with clips and hand stitched and presumable overstitched to make sure rice didn't creep out.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 10:18:43 AM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2021, 17:41:59 PM »
Made some more masks, a bit bigger than the ones I've done previously, doesn't take much fabric.

annierose

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2021, 16:57:59 PM »
Specifically knits: I have made scrunchies, and neck warmers in different sizes - from the 'Buff' kind to slouchy ones (some of which I have 'patchworked)

Nice for me, and the odd gift. This Xmas I am making some to donate to a fundraiser, and will see whether they are wanted by anyone else.
We have a 'posh' charity shop near us and I might ask if they want them.

I give larger scraps to a creative mum who lives near me and makes leggings for her daughter.

I find the trouble with patchworking knits for clothes is getting them at the right weights - and somehow they never look right on me (my default mode is 'bag lady'!)

You can also use knit scraps for stuffing toys and door sausages - but again, the amount you can use up is a bit limited.

I have also put '2 large bags of fabric scraps' on Freecycle and have had takers. Best of all were some lovely wovens that I couldn't see how to use up. Someone took them to decorate the shalwar kameez she makes, and was so delighted she turned up with a big box of samosas to thank me!

Celia

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »
@annierose i had never thought of neck warmers, I think I might like the slouchier kind any chance of a photo or at least the sort of measurement you use, my neck is often cold but I don’t want to wear polo necks indoors, it would be great to have something easily removed.

I do knit them but sometimes knitted ones look too heavy indoors

Ohsewsimple

annierose

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2021, 13:58:15 PM »
@annierose i had never thought of neck warmers, I think I might like the slouchier kind any chance of a photo or at least the sort of measurement you use, my neck is often cold but I don’t want to wear polo necks indoors, it would be great to have something easily removed.

I do knit them but sometimes knitted ones look too heavy indoors

I think Ohsewsimple's (made for mermaids) might be easier to follow. The other link is for a rather 'smart' neck warmer, but thank you - I am going to look at it. I love scarves, but now sometimes have to use a crutch, and they can get in the way (well with me they do!)

This is what I do:

For one that doubles as a headband & fits closely (useful for the gym) I use a piece approximately 20-30 cms wide and 50-60 long
For a really slouchy scarf substitute, about 60cms. wide and 80 long
Of course you will adapt the measurements to suit your size & taste.

Fold in half and sew up the long side, so that you have a tube.
Turn inside out, you then need to sew the tube ends together, which you can't do completely, but I usually manage about 1/2 - 2/3 of the circle, then handsew the remaining seam.

As I do this with knits, you don't need to put elastic in, but some do for a snugger fit.

I think this is just about experimenting with what suits you.

I did a 'fancy' one with 2 pieces of stretch velveteen in 2 different colours (each piece about 30 x 80) then when I sewed the final seam, I twisted them, attaching the purple to the black and vice versa. The neckwarmer then showed the 2 colours with a nice slouchy twist.

Sorry, I can't do photos, since switching to Google to save photos, it doesn't like me! I know that I should sit down one afternoon and sort it out, but I haven't yet!

And I thought that I would post a fantastic example of an original painted 'circle scarf' by Carole Waller

Celia

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2021, 16:49:53 PM »
Well that was the encouragement I needed, maybe doesn’t go with the jumper but nice and snug. 

Thankyou @annierose and @Ohsewsimple

annierose

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2021, 17:32:44 PM »
Yes, that's lovely. I am going to make a few more as well

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2021, 17:59:11 PM »
Well that was quick!  Sometimes that’s just what you need.

Catllar

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2021, 14:24:51 PM »
I've just binned a dustbin bag full of scraps - sorry, but I needed a therapeutic cleanse of the room in order to look for the missing sewjo. I'm not keen on patched fabric for clothing for myself, I'm veering more and more towards clean unfussy lines and away from anything boho.

I'm considering undies though but the days when I could wear bikini briefs have long gone so if anyone has a T&T pattern I'd be grateful.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Celia

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2021, 18:32:02 PM »
I have been looking at this pattern as it seems to have lots of scope but I haven’t yet checked out how they are made, https://jalie.com/products/camisole-and-panties-sewing-pattern. I like the way the other one I posted above is made.