The Sewing Place

Hello Peeps!!

Footpedal

Hello Peeps!!
« on: October 23, 2021, 11:04:11 AM »
  Hi , Thanks for having me (after probation lol)
   I look forward to having a good chat with people about sewing machines rather than sewing as such !!
Not to say I don't appreciate the complexities and art of sewing itself  8)  but its just that ,as a tinkerer and I suppose a minor engineer , I am fascinated by the way in which they work,and how they all have differed /developed over the years !
  Always nice to have a comfy chair to reside in to , so hopefully thats how I will feel when in here !!
  Thanks again , Anto :thumbsup:

Flobear

Re: Hello Peeps!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 11:07:15 AM »
Nice to meet you Anto! Welcome to TSP.

I remember being utterly fascinated many many years ago seeing some ancient sewing machines somewhere - Science Museum maybe. Iirc there was a sort of bodkin that somehow went / got pushed or maybe pulled up and down.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 11:11:29 AM »
A big welcome from me too @Footpedal !  Always lovely to have someone on board who enjoys the machines!

Look forward to seeing some of yours!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Footpedal

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 11:18:33 AM »
Thanks ,
Being a farmer who used to use a hay baler in my twenties , I was fascinated with how baler knotters worked !
 I could go to some now and get them working because understanding exactly what happens in that very very short and mysterious moment ,helps you to get a true grasp of just what happens or at least should happen !!
Sewing machines have that sort of thing going on ,its all a bit difficult to see just what is up when you have a problem. :thinking:
I know ,I am obsessed !! my other half thinks so maybe ,but also waiting for a hip replacement in a fortnight - fingers crossed- so tinkering with small stuff is satisfying !
I have a Singer 201 I am getting going ,but will leave that story for a thread of its own !! :devil:

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 11:27:15 AM »
Actually, any sort of old technology fascinates me. When I lived near Southampton I loved to see Eling Tide Mill working and once got the chance to see the innards of the Steamship Shieldhall in operation. And moving to Dorset meant I was never far from the Great Dorset Steam Fair!
I'll stop rabbiting now  :)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 11:34:58 AM »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Footpedal

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »
Excellent !!

Who would have known that there are 4 gremlins doing all the work!! :D

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 12:00:12 PM »
Hello and welcome.  I had to reduce my stable of machines when we moved to a smaller house, but loved looking at the mechanics of them and getting any that had seized up and running and looking their best.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

ScubaGirl

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
Hi, nice to meet you.
I've been researching different machines and their mechanics lately, as I just bought a new one. Love chatting with mechanically minded peeps.  :)

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 12:15:13 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 12:28:01 PM »
Hello and welcome @Footpedal  I had my second hip replacement last week and am now learning how to walk properly with two sticks. I wish you well with your op.
Enjoy your sewing machines.
Still learning

LizHartley

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 18:45:49 PM »
Hello and welcome -- hope you enjoy the forum  :sew: :vintage: :thumbsup:

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 19:27:26 PM »
Hi @Footpedal welcome to TSP  :drink: :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

charley

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 19:43:00 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 19:48:25 PM »
Hi @Anto welcome from me too  :). I love taking my machines to bits too only the old fashioned mechanical ones though, I don't think I'd dare with the modern computerised ones. In a former life it was quicker to try and fix them myself rather than waiting for a mechanic to come out.