The Sewing Place

Gutermann Toldi-lock thread

Gernella

Gutermann Toldi-lock thread
« on: October 24, 2021, 14:08:38 PM »
I went back last night and bought another 6 reels of this thread from Samuel Taylors, which  I like because you can mix with other colours to lighten or darken.  I've also discovered that the thread is no longer advertised on the Gutermann website and it looks like the replacement is Miniking, which costs twice as much (around £8.45) and you only get 1000m, Toldi-lock 2500.

The postage was more this time, no offers, but still worked out cheaper than anywhere else  I could see. Best fill your boots before it runs out.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Andymat

Re: Gutermann Toldi-lock thread
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 21:53:19 PM »
I'm sorry if I am being a bit thick but when you say you can mix it with other colours to lighten or darken, what do you mean? Do you mean you are mixing over-locker threads to change the apparent colour of the stitches as a whole?

I like the idea of a bargain but I'm just not sure how you are using the thread.

Andy

BrendaP

Re: Gutermann Toldi-lock thread
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 23:04:21 PM »
I went back last night and bought another 6 reels of this thread from Samuel Taylors, which  I like because you can mix with other colours to lighten or darken.  I've also discovered that the thread is no longer advertised on the Gutermann website and it looks like the replacement is Miniking, which costs twice as much (around £8.45) and you only get 1000m, Toldi-lock 2500.

The postage was more this time, no offers, but still worked out cheaper than anywhere else  I could see. Best fill your boots before it runs out.

The clue on the Samual Taylors website is
"Toldi-Lock overlocking thread comes on a 2500 metre cone. It is a top quality, colourfast, strong yet fine, lint free overlocking thread that was previously used in the garment manufacturing industry, but is now a quality and great value alternative to those budget friendly overlocking threads where the downside is the excess of lint.

Guetermann Minking is the overlocking thread in their domestic range, but actually Mara 120 would be the equivalent of Toldilock.

If you look at the industrial section of the Guetermann website
https://industry.guetermann.com/en/products
there is a huge range of threads.  Mara is one of the staples and comes in a dozen different thicknesses. The higher the number the finer the thread. 
Mara 100 is exactly the same spec as the domestic SewAll. 
Mara 120 will be the same thickness as Toldilock 120.

Mara 120 is readily available on 1,000m spools and although more expensive than Toldilock it's about half the price of Miniking.

If you are after budget overlocker thread Minerva Crafts sell unbranded 120s Sewing Thread on 4,500 m cones for £2.99.

Whilst there will be a slight difference between brands because of different production machines, a size 120/2 Nm thread is a 120/2 Nm thread.  It will be a 2 ply construction and 120 x 1000 metres of each ply will weigh 1Kg  (120 x 1000 m of finished thread will weigh 2Kg).  The difference between quality brands such as Guetermann and some cheapie brands is that the cheap brands are a bit hairier when looked at through a magnifying glass and this is why they produce more lint in the sewing machine - although the fabric being cut on an overlocker is what produces the vast majority of overlocking lint

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.