The Sewing Place

new member reaching out

bodger

new member reaching out
« on: October 25, 2021, 14:20:48 PM »
Hello everyone. I have just joined and am looking forward to all the tip's I can. I'm thinking of living on a narrowboat as off grid as can be, so I want a vintage singer hand cranked  66 or 99k as I've been advised these models can handle heavy materials even 6oz leather. So I figured the best way of going forward is to join this forum in the hope that some members sell machines that have been repaired & serviced. Basically that's my reason for joining. Hopefully their are members that do sell the above.  :dance:

Deafoldbat

Re: new member reaching out
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 18:55:28 PM »
@bodger Not many people sell machines here regularly - though they often buy them! But if you come across a handcrank in need of tlc they will be happy to help you repair/refurbish it. Plenty of advice available. Have a look at the vintage machines section.

charley

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 20:49:28 PM »
@bodger if you peruse Ebay, you will see lots of these machines for sale, for varying amounts of money. They are easy to maintain and fix up yourself, and there is lots of help out there on various vintage sewing sites. The BHF charity online shop often have these Singers for sale too, but you would have to clean it up. Helen Howes sometimes has these machines for sale; she has a website, and she fixes up these machines so that they are ready 'to go'. Helen does not post machines, you need to collect from her place in Norfolk. 

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 23:08:10 PM »
Hello and welcome!

LizHartley

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 09:20:42 AM »
Hi and welcome  -  hope the site is useful for all your sewing needs :thumbsup:

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 10:08:39 AM »
Hello and welcome @bodger !

I have both of these machines, I just love how quietly they run.  You may want to add a 201k to that list as it is a great workhorse.  Personally, I prefer a treadle to a handcrank, but I think that's a matter of taste.

Lots of like minded people on here to give help and advice!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Cazlyn

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 10:16:03 AM »
Hi and welcome, it’s a great place to be.
Crafting is my happy place