The Sewing Place

Hello Everyone! Left handed sewing machine advice....

JohnSnug

Hello Everyone! Left handed sewing machine advice....
« on: October 25, 2021, 14:56:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and completely new to sewing so I'm hoping this will become my new place to find and gather advice. At the moment I have no idea where to start, and I don't even have a machine yet.

I'm guessing there's plenty of "what sewing machine to get" questions being asked here so I'll work my way through those as soon as I can. My first and main question initially though is regarding me being left handed, do they do, and is it a common thing for people to use left handed sewing machines? I've had a quick look and can't see many available so I'm wondering if people just learn to sew the unnatural RH way, or if getting a left handed sewing machine will limit my options in any way.

Any advice from fellow left handers welcome.

Iminei

Re: Hello Everyone! Left handed sewing machine advice....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 15:01:50 PM »
We have a couple of threads to start you off on ...

Our Sewing Machines

Sewing Machine Reviews

Never heard of a left handed sewing machine tho'; scissors I think so !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 15:40:05 PM »
I'm a lefty and have never seen a left-handed machine. Lefty scissors are available, though I've never used them, and many rotary cutters can go either way. I don't it matters for any other equipment.

realale

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 15:54:49 PM »
There is a theory that the sewing machine was designed by two leftys so is inherently lefty friendly!!

Both these items below came from tinterweb so they must be true!!  :P

One theory is that as both Elias Howe and Isaac Singer (the inventors of the sewing machine) were left-handed, they designed their machines to use their less dominant right hand to crank the machine while the left hand did the fine dexterous work. ... 'Left-handed' sewing machine.

https://www.andreaschewedesign.com/blog/left-handed-sewing-machines
So many beers, so little time.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 16:11:31 PM »
I could imagine that it might make a difference with a hand crank machine but with an electric machine I don't think it would matter much with regard to the actual sewing / guiding the fabric.  I use 2 hand for that anyway.  It could be a bit awkward with the controls over to the right but you don't tend to be fiddling with them while you are sewing.  The most used ones such as reverse or needle up/down are usually situated over the needle area.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 16:56:55 PM »
No I’ve never come across a left land sewing machine. I have occasionally seen photos of machines that look like they’re left hand ones.  Unfortunately it’s just the photo being printed in reverse!   Seen them in magazines of all places.   :rolleyes:

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 17:14:01 PM »
I'm right handed but am struggling to see what could help as it's my foot that powers the machine. I do thread the needle with my left hand though.......... My mum was left handed and I did sew a line of embroidery stitches the wrong way once at school so maybe I'm a bit of both.  I couldn't see what I'd done wrong at the time though!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Flobear

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 17:47:23 PM »
I don't think there's an issue being a left-hander with a sewing machine (I'm mostly RH), there are no really fine motor skills required, but perhaps eye-dominance is slightly more important. I remember finding it difficult to cut out 'on the lines' when I was young and it took me some time to realise that I had to look at 'the other side of the line'. It was only when I did archery at secondary school that I found I'm left-eye dominant. I'm ancient enough now to have had plenty of practice compensating when necessary doing other practical tasks.
Like Helen, I thread the needle with my left hand - if I'm using a machine that hasn't got a threader device.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

JohnSnug

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 19:23:21 PM »
Thanks everyone. Maybe I've just imagined it then, I'm sure I'd seen an article on 'top 10 left handed sewing machines' or similar and just presumed it was a thing! I've got a lot to learn I think! I'm starting completely from scratch but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I look forward to reading through the forum. Plenty more newbie questions to come :laughing:

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 19:32:25 PM »
I'm sure you didn't imagine it @JohnSnug - and if you find it again we'd be eager to give it a read!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 19:49:51 PM »
left handed sewing machine
A quick Google gave me this!
Anyone notice something strange here?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 21:08:18 PM »
@Bumblebuncher That's very funny - do they really think they are for left handers?  :laughing:

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 21:31:17 PM »
@JohnSnug I've been around both industrial and domestic sewing machines for more years than I care to remember and I've never seen or heard of a lefty machine.
I'm right handed but due to an accident when I was around 11 my right hand is disabled so I've had to become left hand dominant, I have no problems using machines designed for right handers, the only thing I would say is you might find a hand crank a bit difficult to use unless of course you like to challenge yourself like I do.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 22:19:36 PM »
@JohnSnug 1st,  welcome!  Don't fret about it. If you can ride a bike, drive a car or eat a sandwich with both hands you can use any machine. Being a lefty myself I can tell you that in general we are more proficient with our non dominant hand than the righties are. That's from years of practice using every day objects designed for those other people.  ;)

If you are severely left dominant one thing to consider is if the presser foot lifter lever is on the back or the right side of the needle area. A simple improvement for you would be buying a computerized sewing machine. A lot of inconvenient things can be handled for you if you so desire. A technique book I read explained that a computerized machine elevates anyone's sewing in that it handles all sorts of mundane activities quickly,  efficiently and consistently.

Brother makes very reliable computerized sewing machines , many in the $200-300 range. Hmm, 145 to 225 pounds.  Mine is a combination with small 4 inch embroidery module and was $300. I absolutely love it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Esme866

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 23:32:00 PM »
Welcome! Good to have you here!

I am very severely right hand dominate, so much so, that just the concept of a hand crank machine(which for some unknown reason many are obsessed with) gives me nightmares. Only use my left hand to guide my fabric! Who came up with such a Crazy idea!

An electric sewing machine is much like an automatic transmission in a car, pretty much a breeze once you get the basics down and much less dangerous! I can actually see being a lefty to be advantageous.

If anyone is making a left-handed machine, I'd be a bit wary as it would be a rare bird indeed.