The Sewing Place

Creating for the Festive Season (Nov 1- Dec 31 2021)

Lemon Syllabub

Re: Creating for the Festive Season (Nov 1- Dec 31 2021)
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 09:10:11 AM »
@justpottering I love your stockings. Red and green always looks perfect this time of year.

@Acorn Your embroidery is beautiful. I'm always in awe of people who know how to use embroidery machines.

@Bodgeitandscarper As I said in awe. Your cards and key fobs would fit in well on the sheves of a very posh shop. Beautiful.

@Celia I love your bag. The fabrics look fantastic together. I think your friend will be very impressed with her pressie.

Morzel

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 07:33:29 AM »
There are such nice ideas here to see! I don't have an embroidery machine as I never could image what for, but now I get it...
@Bodgeitandscarper I think the keyrings are such a neat idea, I send a link to a friend with an embroidery machine.
@Celia The bag looks great, but I can understand it being too fiddly just for wrapping a present in. When my daughter was younger, I made simple lined bags to put the presents for her friends in. The children used the bags for storing all kinds of toys in it. Now I am down to sewing even simpler non-lined bags... Just so much quicker.
@Acorn  , I really like the spirit of your embroidery!
Eva

Sheilago

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2021, 21:01:48 PM »
A few of my Christmas things are made. :D 2 mug rugs as little gifts for friends I’m meeting on Thursday, aran hoodie for my granddaughter and 2 Christmas masks each for me and my sister. Lots more still to do!   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 21:34:04 PM »
That’s a lovely little hoodie @Sheilago

Morzel

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2021, 19:41:53 PM »
The cardigan is wonderful! As are the colourful mug rugs. And the reindeerfabric is soo cute!
Eva

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2021, 11:11:23 AM »
@Sheilago what lovely pieces, the knitting is beyond my skillset, but I'm looking at the mug rugs and thinking 'hmmm maybe I could do that?'

Sheilago

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2021, 12:54:40 PM »
@SewRuthieSews , the mug rugs are so easy. I copied them from a picture online. It’s really good for using little left over scraps of green( or any colour you like ) just sew the scraps together until you have enough for a triangle. I made a template for the triangle, which makes it easy.
Aran knitting is also not as hard as it looks. Once you’ve done one set of pattern rows, you can see where you are , so you’re less likely to make mistakes. I find multi colour knitting much trickier- I’m knitting a dinosaur jumper just now using a pattern diagram and it’s so fiddly and slow!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 12:56:24 PM by Sheilago »

Acorn

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2021, 10:01:40 AM »
One down... I've finished the table runner.  I should have used a thinner wadding, I think, it looks a bit poofy in the photo.  Less so in real life.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2021, 05:57:01 AM »
Nice @Acorn ! I like one or two layers of cotton flannel, no more, in things like this. Invariably I want to set something on it that gets tipsy if it's puffy and that drives me crazy trying to keep the item "straight".
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2021, 09:31:34 AM »
That's a good idea.  :thumb:  I have pressed it to within an inch of its life, so it doesn't have any puffiness left, but it would have been much better to use something like flannel in the first place.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2021, 21:07:52 PM »
I'm thinking of making some sort of tote bags to put gifts in we are taking to people in person.
I'm not sure if something that looks like a 'gift' bag is better, or actually if a classic shopping bag would be better as the recipients can reuse it more afterwards.
I'm also not quite sure what would be a good size for them.

Acorn

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2021, 21:14:15 PM »
I would say definitely a tote bag.  I worry that people are either going to throw gift bags away or not know what to do with them, which really defeats the object of making them rather than using paper wrapping!

Lachica

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2021, 21:26:45 PM »
In previous years I've made calico 'bags for life' with embroidery on. I think these are more likely to be reused, although fancy gift bags would look nicer & might well be reused as gift wrapping.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2021, 10:05:58 AM »
My family know that if they recieve something in a cloth gift bag if there's no immediate use for it it is to be put away with the Christmas decorations and re-used next year.  I was pleased last year to get a couple of them back. 

The trend is growing, I know that DD1 (who has lots of offcuts and leftovers of curtain fabric) has been making gift bags.  She says they are not particularly Christmassy but she's been using the fabrics with a bit of shine or glitter in them.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

WendyW

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2021, 16:02:13 PM »
This year, my money and creative energy have both been focused on our new house, and now we approach Christmas with a reluctance to spend and my creative juices ready for a diversion. So, sewing The Stash for Christmas.

WendyW, entry 1.
Traditional flannel nightgown for my 5yo granddaughter.

Pattern: Simplicity 9296, cir. 1996

Materials: Lovely, thick, cotton flannel. Much nicer than the new stuff. 3yds found in stash from who knows where.
Pre-gathered lace attached to beading lace, found at a huge fabric sale in a very odd venue.
Red ribbon originally from my mother's stash. Ribbon was on a spool wound with a strip of paper between layers for it's entire length. I have never in my life seen ribbon sold this way so there's no telling how old it is.

How/problems: When I went digging in my patterns I expected to find the one I used for my daughter 30 yrs ago, but this wasn't it. I have no idea where this one came from. The one I wanted had a square yoke, buttons in the back, and a wide ruffle at the hem. This one was designed with a wider neck opening intended to go over the head with no closure. A wide open neckline on a flannel nightie seems counterproductive to me, so I altered that. I raised the cut-line at the inside of the neck and added a slit opening in back with a single button closure. I wish I had raised it more. I could easily have added a ruffle, and still might later, but I was unsure of the length needed, and a straight hem will be easier to adjust if needed.

nightgown by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

nightgown lace trim by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

nightgown back closure by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr