The Sewing Place

Creating for the Festive Season (Nov 1- Dec 31 2021)

Lachica

Re: Creating for the Festive Season (Nov 1- Dec 31 2021)
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2021, 17:01:45 PM »
That's really pretty.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2021, 17:35:17 PM »
Just realised that I didn't fill in the template, so here it is!

This is Acorn's first entry, a table runner for our coffee table.

I used a free pattern from Lewis and Irene - the Noel table runner.  I made it longer - twice - once by adding an extra section of triangles, and then again by adding a rectangle to each end, which hangs over the edge of the coffee table.

The fabric is all from the Moda Starflower range.

There were no great problems, although I did seem to do a lot of unpicking in order to get all those points nice and sharp.  The wadding I sued wasn't ideal, but I pressed the life out of it at the end, and it's worked out fine now.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sheilago

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2021, 08:38:28 AM »
This was yesterday afternoon’s activity and a lovely one for a cold wet windy day. It’s not Christmas without making at least one stocking. :D This one is for my daughter’s friend’s new born baby. He’ll only be 3 weeks old at Christmas, but he has to have a stocking!

Acorn

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2021, 16:47:33 PM »
Acorn's Second Entry

Pinafore dresses for our goddaughters, who are almost three, and four and a half, but are the same size!

I used the Tui pattern from New Zealand company, Below the Kowhai.  Unusually for me, I made them as per the instructions, just a bit longer because I find children's clothes patterns are often a bit short, and too long is definitely better.  I added the embroidery on the fronts, and my usual hidden messages inside.

I used 9oz denim from Guthrie and Ghani, with a little bit of stretch, because stretch denim is easier to iron, and I do love their mother!

The pattern was very good, and the instructions some of the best I've ever seen, right up to the very end, where the instructions for attaching the straps to the back waistband were woefully inadequate.  They said you can sew the straps to the waistband along the lines of the top stitching at the top and bottom (no, you really can't - the waistband's gathered, and it would look a mess, and anyway, fixing the angle of the strap on someone who is going to grow seems like a bad idea) or put a buttonhole in the strap and attach a button to either the outside or the inside of the waistband.

I felt that a button on the outside of the waistband would look messy, and be very vulnerable to coming undone, and one inside the waistband would be uncomfortable for the girls (I am determined not to be the person who made them uncomfortable clothes!)  However, a button would clearly allow the strap to swivel and lie smoothly even as the girls grow.  In the end I found some nice big, strong press studs, which will have the benefits of a button, but be more secure and comfortable.

(By the way, they are both the same colour - my phone camera has a mind of its own.)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 16:52:55 PM by Acorn »

b15erk

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2021, 14:22:18 PM »
 Last two of three stockings I've made this year.  I can now happily re-pack the Christmas box, and do some 'proper' sewing!

Jessie

eta, TSP is not playing nicely, so not sure if these pics have gone on
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 19:14:48 PM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2021, 09:55:47 AM »
They'll go down really well!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2021, 12:14:49 PM »
@Acorn they are sooooo cute.  Wish we had girls to make for! 

Lachica

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2021, 13:43:57 PM »
Cute! I like the turned up toes but I bet they were tricky to turn through.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

b15erk

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
@Lachica , they  are hard on the fingers, but I use a pair of forceps, and I put a little stuffing in, so that they keep their shape.  I've done lots of them, but each year they seem to take longer...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »
I used the free pattern from Patterns 4 Pirates to make this cute stuffed fabric Christmas Tree.
https://www.patternsforpirates.com/fabric-tree-tutorial/

I went for a classic green for mine.

I might raid the bead box to add some decorations.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2021, 11:51:51 AM »
Simple mug rugs made from the leftover squares from the rainbow quilt.
Fronts, made from 4 of the squares folded in half, either diagonally or straight.

Back a single square.

Each one sewn up in thread that matches the back, so involved lots of thread changes.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2021, 12:17:18 PM »
Great way to use small leftovers @SewRuthieSews

Acorn

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2021, 16:12:12 PM »
Acorn's Third Entry

Mum's hot water bottle cover is finally finished.

This is a style I have used for quite a few years now.  Mum uses a hot water bottle all the time to ease her back and this is a hot water bottle cover for daytime use - that looks good enough to have on her chair in the sitting room.

It has double wadding on one side, for when the bottle is just filled, and single wadding on the other, for when it has cooled down a little and she turns it over.  The back is a batik from my stash, and the front is more of the denim that I used for the girls' pinafore dresses - it's a lovely quality, and a delight to embroider on and sew with.  The lining is also a FQ from my stash.

I made a couple of false starts as I originally wanted to use dark blue velvet for the front, but when my embroidery hoop rubbed the pile off it I began to worry about whether it was going to be hard wearing enough for daily use, so I switched to the denim.  I'm glad I did.

Front:

Back and lining:

Sheilago

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2021, 17:32:07 PM »
That is absolutely beautifully made @Acorn . I love the idea of the embroidered denim and the matching bee lining is just perfect.

Acorn

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2021, 17:46:40 PM »
@Sheilago Thank you - I love embroidered denim too.  I found an old denim jacket a few weeks ago and discovered, to my surprise, that I had embroidered butterflies right across the shoulders -  I have no memory of doing it!