The Sewing Place

Another new toy!

Bill

Re: Another new toy!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 12:51:42 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  And here's my first ever attempt at embroidery!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And I didn't even read the manual first  :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:57:19 PM by Bill »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 12:59:51 PM »
Machines are sold as reboxed for a number of reasons.  Customer may have changed their mind or there was a fault and it’s been sent back. 

Embroiders ok! 

As for reading the manual I do recommend it.  One customer we had bought a Husqvarna Ruby, very expensive machine.  She didn’t bother to read the manual.  Took it out set it up, started sewing and heard a horrible noise.  Brought it back to us as faulty.  Engineer found that she hadn’t removed the pieces of plastic used to keep the arm of embroidery module from moving around.  Massive amounts of damage and not covered by the warranty obviously. 

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 13:26:51 PM »
It's amazing what they can pull out of the storeroom when they've got you on the hook and don't want you to move elsewhere @Bill  mine was suddenly old stock they'd found and it certainly hadn't been reboxed, you can tell.

Looks very nice though, you have certainly got the talent for making things.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bill

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 14:13:35 PM »
 <3
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Diane

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 14:31:32 PM »
@Bill  :faints:  :boohoo: I want one but .......... I must be sensible, i sew in the lounge so i'd have to find a storage place for it and it's the sort of toy that needs to be out ready for use all of the time and if i'm really honest with myself, would i use it that much  :thinking: knowing me it would be a 5 minute wonder  :laughing: If i had a dedicated sewing space then no doubt i'd have one. Just enjoy it and we want to see ALL that you do with it  :loveit:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2021, 15:10:52 PM »
@Diane you do know that they make combined embroidery and sewing machines?   Just saying if space is a problem  :devil:

Diane

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2021, 15:20:33 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  Mmm i noticed that a few months back, i'm trying to be oh so sensible  :laughing: I have the funds but just really don't know if i'd use it enough to justify the cost, i was looking at the brother innovis v5, it's on the back burner at the moment until i can make my mind up.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2021, 15:22:26 PM »
What would you embroider @Diane ?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2021, 15:23:26 PM »
As for reading the manual I do recommend it.  One customer we had bought a Husqvarna Ruby, very expensive machine.  She didn’t bother to read the manual.  Took it out set it up, started sewing and heard a horrible noise.  Brought it back to us as faulty.  Engineer found that she hadn’t removed the pieces of plastic used to keep the arm of embroidery module from moving around.  Massive amounts of damage and not covered by the warranty obviously.

OMGoodness! What an awful disaster!

When I order a new toy, the first thing I do after ordering it is to go online and find the manual to download and save to my files on my iPad. If it’s going to be a few days until arrival, I’ll start reading the manual in readiness. It’s part of the build up of excitement for me.  :|

I’ve just downloaded the manual for the new fridge freezer arriving to replace the old one in the utility. I’ll read through the installation instructions so I know how to set it up properly when it arrives. DH prefers the paper copies and he’s welcome to find somewhere to store them!  :laughing:

Diane

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 15:26:19 PM »
What would you embroider @Diane ?

That's exactly my point @Lowena

Celia

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2021, 15:55:07 PM »
Yes you are right to think like that @Diane it is a lovely thing to have and great for a lot of people including @Bill  :loveit:Making personalised things often makes it easier to sell things but if that isn’t your aim I think it’s best to think hard.

I have a combination machine which I rarely use now but in the past it was essential for my job, I keep it because I have it and am still working occasionally. On a personal level I don’t have a need for the embroideries it does and anyway I do still like hand embroidery.

This of course is from the person who has toooo many hobby items  :devil:

Diane

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2021, 16:17:14 PM »
@Celia  You're absolutely right, i enjoy hand embroidery as well, if i bought an embroidery machine i know i would play with it but that's all it would be.....playing. Now if i had a sideline of making things that required embroidery and i could make some money then i would invest but i don't.

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2021, 16:27:42 PM »
@Iminei tried selling handmade and embroidered items. It wasn't easy iirc
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 16:29:25 PM by Lowena »

Diane

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2021, 16:30:21 PM »
@Lowena You have to make a really niche product to make money

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2021, 16:33:26 PM »
Very true