The Sewing Place

Please ... Search your Stash for this Scandi Fabric!

Iminei

Re: Please ... Search your Stash for this Scandi Fabric!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 06:11:19 AM »
So not a bad weekend in the end .... I started on the cushion covers for my Auntie Gell and have one front made, I hoping to get on with the other today after work.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I also prewashed some calico I bought. It was very stiff and I was assured that it would soften after washing  -<

Soften my A**** it looks ... and feels ... like crumpled cardboard now! Do you think after an iron I could use it for the backing????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Syrinx

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 06:45:26 AM »
It'll be fine. Calico comes with lots of sizing these days. I usually wash mine a couple of times if I'm using it for something. The more it gets lobbed around she better it gets so it'll soften over time with use as well. Steam ironing it will also help

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 10:17:33 AM »
I've never used calico.....I'm fact I'm not entirely sure what it is :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
Calico (in UK) is unbleached cotton fabric often with the little slubs and bits of seeds etc included.  It can be very stiff, the more it's washed the better but it is a B****** to iron.  Full throttle on the steam output is required.

ETA it also shrinks a lot!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 09:09:17 AM »
Finished ....

I'll not post pics of the back as my A.Gell likes them to be firm so there are two 18" feather inners stuffed into the 16" covers. They have three large buttons closing the back.

Thank you to everyone who helped source the fabrics for me, even if all you did was rootle round in your stash to no avail ... at least you bothered to look!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

realale

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2021, 10:29:31 AM »
So glad you managed to get them done. They look mighty fine  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.