The Sewing Place

How is cushion piping made?

JohnSnug

How is cushion piping made?
« on: October 27, 2021, 16:53:02 PM »
I'm completely new here and looking to do some soft furnishing items to get me started and understand a bit more about sewing. I've seen cushions online that have the same patterned fabric on the piping as they do on the cushion fabric.

I'm completely new to sewing so it might be out of my depth a little but is it possible to do this kind of piping at home or will it be made with a special machine of some sort?

Home furnishings is the only thing that really interests me and cushions seem like a good place to start, so any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ellabella

Re: How is cushion piping made?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 17:04:34 PM »
@JohnSnug piping is simply strips of fabric cut on the bias, which is diagonal to the straight grain. This is then wrapped around cord and stitched into a seam.

You can sew piping on an ordinary domestic machine very easily.

If you are a visual learner there are lots of YouTube videos that demonstrate the process.

Cutting the fabrics on the bias gives it the ability to stretch and so go round the corners of the cushion neatly.

Whilst piping isn’t difficult it might be better to try a simple envelope cushion cover first.

Lots of knowledgeable folks on here to help you on your way but be warned you might think you only want to do soft furnishings but we are very good at getting people to do far more than they originally planned :laughing:

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 17:31:05 PM »
You can also buy ready made piping,

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

tho' obviously it wouldnt necessarily be in the fabric you desire but you can get a complimentary colour. this you just wedge the flat bit in between the seams (Right sides together) and away you go

But if a novice I would very much suggest simpler things first.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 17:40:49 PM »
Oooh, @Iminei .  I need some of that and three minutes ago, I didn’t even know it existed.   :laughing:

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 18:12:39 PM »
Also - HIGHLY recommend a piping foot.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 19:31:10 PM »
I agree that something easier than a piped cushion would be a better place to start - perhaps a plain cushion cover with a simple envelope opening.
For attaching piping I always use a zipper foot.  It had never occurred to me to purchase a piping foot.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 19:44:33 PM »
Also - HIGHLY recommend a piping foot.

It's impossible to make without a piping/zipper foot, but they are available for all domestic machines.

Some piping feet are 'moveable' so that you can adjust a littel so that the stitching is snug against the cord, others are fixed and you need to move the needle  to get it snug.  Easier done than explained.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 21:14:37 PM »
I've made piping since I was a kid. I've only ever used a zipper foot (which comes with all machines), can't even imagine why I'd need a piping foot.

Envelope covers are an option, though I've never cared for them.When a pillow or cushion is used, there is always extra futzing required to straighten the pillow out.

I would suggest practicing installing zippers first. You can rob 2 or 3 from some old clothes or possibly find weird colored ones cheap at a thrift store, but I'd practice a couple of centered applications and a couple of lapped zippers. Most home dec typically uses a lapped application.

Then I would practice covering a bit of cording to make some piping and practices placing it on a corner. Every cushion I've ever made has rounded corners, even if you're making something clean contemporary lines, the filling of any cushion will not fill a sharp 90° corner.

I think starting with a piped cushion sounds doable. I just would not start with my favorite or expensive fabric. Practice a bit and YouTube should be your best friend on this.

I probably go 15 years between piped projects. There's a way to mark the bias strips on your fabric and then lay the ends in a particular way so that you stitch all of them together at once and then cut them so that your bias strips are in one long continuous piece. I have to look that up every time.

Go for it! Gotta start someplace.

Bill

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 23:12:19 PM »
Hi @JohnSnug and welcome to the forum.
Depending on how new to machine sewing you are, first thing I'd do is learn my machine.
 Cutting on the bias etc are terms I've learnt over the last year since starting sewing so all that lingo will soon make sense as you go.
I've done piping once and it was for a machine cover I made. I used washing line and covered it with my fabric of choice. I used a piping foot which was included in a box set of sewing machine feet my partner bought me. It does help a lot if the needle on your machine can be moved side to side. Stitching the piping is simply a case of pinning it between fabric layers and sewing it closed. That bits tricky and it took me ages to do. A zipper foot is handy for that bit.
Good luck  :)
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Esme866

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 02:12:05 AM »
@Bill I'm actually seriously asking here, what does that piping foot do? I know you're newer at this, so the difference between it and the zipper foot may have made more of an impression on you. I don't understand what you were saying about the "¿side to side?"movement of the needle. :thinking:

Do you mean if you can change the needle position on your machine the piping foot makes things easier??? The one feature I have missed on my Janome (2 or 3 times over 30 years), that was on my first machine, is being able to move the needle position. Mine doesn't do that.

I bought a set of those 32 sewing machine feet for $18 from Amazon, before all of the feet were individually listed on the website. All I really wanted at the time was a felling foot, and of course that wasn't included in the set. There is a piping foot or two, but I've yet to play with them as they don't work on my main machine.(I'd have to futz with drilling out all of the openings for my needle to clear properly.) Could possibly use them on my Morse, but there are too many other things above that on my "to do" list!

JohnSnug

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 08:45:02 AM »
I've been to look at a few machines yesterday and I'm assuming the 'side to side' setting @Bill is referring to is so you can adjust the needle to be as close or as far away as you want it compared to the piping foot? From what I could see the piping foot just holds it in place but there's no way of sewing at a specific point relative to the foot without that 'side to side' functionality. (I'm sure there's a better term for that! :laughing:). I also could be completely wrong, but the Bernina I tried let you adjust that.

Thanks for all the replies too, gives me lots to google and look into.  :D

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 09:31:05 AM »
Hi @JohnSnug

There’s lots of very good free YouTube sewing tutorials that demonstrate ‘how to’ and I’d encourage you to watch a couple before starting your project.

https://youtu.be/bJwe5bjXAvk  This one shows how to make the matching piping cord pieces from your main fabric.

Good luck with your project and remember the cardinal rule….you HAVE to post pictures of your finished project and tell us about the sewing experience.  :laughing:

Syrinx

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 09:42:28 AM »
This is what my piping foot looks like

short YouTube showing off the foot

It makes making and attaching piping super easy, even though I don't use piping often.

Bill

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 10:01:41 AM »
Sorry @Esme866 for not being too clear about the needle positioning. It was late and my heady was fuzzy  :)  But yes you have my meaning correct.
The piping foot holds the piping in place leaving you free to guide the fabric straight. I suppose it's doable with a zipper foot too but I imagine might be more difficult keeping everything tight.
Others have explained it better than me  :S
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 10:24:25 AM »
I have only ever used a zipper foot* and never had any problems. Not sure I'd want to use clothes line though! I prefer the piping cord that is smooth covered - there is one that's like rope with the twist exposed which I don't think gives a nice finish.

* for double piping you do need a special foot. Not for enclosing the double cords, a zipper foot will do that perfectly well, but for stitching between the cords afterwards.