The Sewing Place

Coverstitch - skipping stitches underneath

queenratty

Re: Coverstitch - skipping stitches underneath
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2021, 13:46:08 PM »
I don't use the Wonder Tape but just plain, old fashioned, tacking. I tack about 3/8" away from the intended coverstitching line and can then sew the hem without stopping. This works for sleeve hems too as the machine has a free arm facility.

The one thing I'm learning is that there are no shortcuts if you want a good finish. I'll definitely make the effort to tack my hems. I tried the webbing and I ran into problems. Thank you. :)

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 16:40:40 PM »

Hem the garments before sewing them at the seams if I want to avoid sewing on the round. That way I can take a run-up on a scrap piece of fabric.

You get a much neater finish if you sew in the round.  For sleeves and trouser legs have the garment inside out with the hem pinned or tacked into position and just start sewing.  Finish by taking the last few stitches over the first few.  Lock off, take the cut ends through to the inside, tie and trim them.

A see through foot makes it easier to get the stitches properly overlapped.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 16:50:30 PM »
I always tack as well, everything in fact! Takes a bit more time but a much better result in the long run.

Another tip is to snip the seam allowance on the foldline, then turn one to the opposite side and re-fold before stitching which makes for less bulk when you hem.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55