The Sewing Place

Coverstitch - skipping stitches underneath

queenratty

Coverstitch - skipping stitches underneath
« on: October 28, 2021, 11:06:00 AM »
Hi peeps. I hope you're well.

I have a Brother Coverstitch CV3550 which is my first step into the coverstitch world.

I'm having a couple of issues:

1.   When I first start stitching, I get a bit of a tunnel. Is there a simple fix?

2.  Sometimes it isn't looping properly underneath and this seems to get worse if I remove the centre needle, even though I don't have it threaded up and have never used it to stitch. I only use the two outer threads. Is there something simple that I'm missing?

Thank you so much!

Rachel

So Chic

Re: Coverstitch - skipping stitches underneath
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »
I would try starting to stitch on a small piece of spare material and then going to the main fabric, and if I get tunnelling I try to stitch slowly.  Have you tried adjusting the tension?  There's a lot of info on YouTube re coverstitching.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Kad

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 11:56:52 AM »
@queenratty     I
've got one of these, and love it.

Re the tunnelling - inside the front drop-down flap where you thread the looper thread  ( blue pathway) there's a little white lever Inbetween the tension disc slot on the face of the machine and the twiddly metal bits ( shown as 5,6,7 on the threading diagram). This lever gives fine adjustment to the looper thread - works wonders if I get a little tunnelling - lever raised = increased tension, lever lowered from centre = tension reduced.
Of course if the tunnelling is bad the tension disc must be gently tweaked.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Kad

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 12:01:14 PM »
Skipping stitches is probably a needle problem .
- are the needles matched to your fabric? This machine takes standard sewing machine needles, so you should use the same type/size as when constructing.
- are the needles in good nick?
Finally, is the machine threaded correctly?

queenratty

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »
Right....

I'll try the tension. That sounds like a good plan.

I interpreted the instructions (that I read ages ago) to mean that I always needed to use a standard needle. I haven't been changing the needle type to match the fabric.

Two rookie lessons.  Thank you!  :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 14:04:21 PM »
I've only ever used my coverstitch with the needles it came with.
Is it skipping in the middle of a straight run or just on thick bits like going over seams?
If it's doing it on a straight run are you stitching without stopping or are you being hesitant and stopping and starting.  I recall reading that a c/s is much more likely to skip stitches if you keep stopping and starting.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 17:04:08 PM »
Standard needles means 130/705H  and not ELx705 which is what a lot of overlockers use.

You should still vary the size (thickness) according to the weight of the fabric.  80/12 or 90/14 will be right for most fabrics.  Also stretch or ball point needles might be better for jersey fabric rather than sharps.

Lots of needle info at
https://www.coats.com/en/information-hub/Basic-needle-parts

Tunnelling can usually be reduced by reducing the tensions (especially on the looper thread) and by using a strip of suitable interfacing inside the seam allowance.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

queenratty

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 11:12:35 AM »
I've only ever used my coverstitch with the needles it came with.
Is it skipping in the middle of a straight run or just on thick bits like going over seams?
If it's doing it on a straight run are you stitching without stopping or are you being hesitant and stopping and starting.  I recall reading that a c/s is much more likely to skip stitches if you keep stopping and starting.

Yes, I do stop and start. A lot! This is normally in the middle of a straight run. It's while I'm adjusting the stretchy fabric so that it lies flat and doesn't wrinkle. I also try go at a snails' pace so the speed is constantly fluctuating. That seems to be the only way I can be accurate. My machine came with bog-standard needles so I've never bothered putting any different in it. I might try other needles just as to see. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:15:17 AM by queenratty »

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 11:49:46 AM »
When you start again @queenratty make sure that the needle is down in the fabric.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

queenratty

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 12:00:41 PM »
Skipping stitches is probably a needle problem .
- are the needles matched to your fabric? This machine takes standard sewing machine needles, so you should use the same type/size as when constructing.
- are the needles in good nick?
Finally, is the machine threaded correctly?
I will try matching the needles. I took 'standard sewing machine needle (130/705H or #90)' to mean just a normal woven stitch needle. Thank you  0_0

queenratty

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 12:02:23 PM »
I would try starting to stitch on a small piece of spare material and then going to the main fabric, and if I get tunnelling I try to stitch slowly.  Have you tried adjusting the tension?  There's a lot of info on YouTube re coverstitching.

I tried it on a scrap piece of the fabric and it seemed okay, but then I was sewing on the round so hard to start straight on the gament. I've been on YouTube but it's a deluge of info that takes a while to sift through. Apologies if this is a daft question. :)

queenratty

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
Standard needles means 130/705H  and not ELx705 which is what a lot of overlockers use.

You should still vary the size (thickness) according to the weight of the fabric.  80/12 or 90/14 will be right for most fabrics.  Also stretch or ball point needles might be better for jersey fabric rather than sharps.

Lots of needle info at
https://www.coats.com/en/information-hub/Basic-needle-parts

I'll take a look at the Coats site. Thank you. Your replies have also helped me see that I need to pay more attention to needles on the coverstitch. I'm precious about them with my Janome sewing machine, but not so much with this machine. I need to change my ways!

Tunnelling can usually be reduced by reducing the tensions (especially on the looper thread) and by using a strip of suitable interfacing inside the seam allowance.

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 18:14:34 PM »
If you are hemming have you discovered Wash Away Wonder Tape.  You can stick the hem down so you don't need any pins and it means that you can fiddle about getting things nice and flat before it goes near the machine.  It's much easier to whizz along at a reasonable speed then.
As it says on the packet the tape dissolves in the wash.
Life's too short for ironing.

queenratty

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »
Everyone's help has been brilliant. Thank you!

I seem to have got to the bottom of the problems:

To play safe, I need to make sure I change the needle according to the fabric.

That little tension spring thing is mega sensitive and I need to use it more often and more carefully.

I need to sew at a consistent and decent speed without stopping and starting - basting or tape can help.

Hem the garments before sewing them at the seams if I want to avoid sewing on the round. That way I can take a run-up on a scrap piece of fabric.

Your help has been really appreciated. Thank you, again!  0_0

Kad

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 12:57:51 PM »
I don't use the Wonder Tape but just plain, old fashioned, tacking. I tack about 3/8" away from the intended coverstitching line and can then sew the hem without stopping. This works for sleeve hems too as the machine has a free arm facility.