The Sewing Place

Scuba crepe

SingingSinger

Scuba crepe
« on: March 04, 2017, 22:48:45 PM »
On impulse, I bought some navy scuba crepe from Abakhan. I've not sewn with scuba before but this crepe finish had such a nice feel and drape. I've got about 1.5m. What should I make with it and any tips for sewing with it?  :sew:
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Catllar

Re: Scuba crepe
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 15:47:46 PM »
No positive  suggestions as to what to make, but you can use a narrow zigzag, knit needles. What do you like to wear? I bought some recently and plan a simple pencil skirt, but it would make structured pleats, peplum top, tunic to wear over leggings.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SingingSinger

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 19:01:38 PM »
Thanks Catlar. As it's a smart navy, a pencil skirt for work would be good. I like sewing dresses :frock: but 1.5m is probably not enough and the fabric might be a bit thick now we are going into Spring. I'm definitely liking the idea of a skirt. :D
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 19:04:23 PM »
What's the weight as I am thinking maybe a jacket?

SingingSinger

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 19:23:51 PM »
What's the weight as I am thinking maybe a jacket?

It's quite heavy. In fact as I bought it from Abakhan I know it's weight - 0.76kg for a piece roughly 1.5m x 1.5m.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 22:09:19 PM »
Crikey - heavier than I thought! Jacket's a good idea UR!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SingingSinger

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 20:09:21 PM »
Mmmh, a jacket? I'll have a look through my patterns and have a think.  :pattern:

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 20:22:54 PM »
I have sewn scuba knit and used a stretch needle.  You can also use a ballpoint, but in any event doing a test stitch never hurts.