The Sewing Place

How do you design a patchwork quilt…?

realale

Re: How do you design a patchwork quilt…?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »
My first patchwork jacket was done in a class many, many, many years ago!! We had to choose the fabrics first (poor memory but I think it was main plain fabric, 3 plain and 2 patterned with the plain colours featured). We were then taught seminole patchwork and used the fabric to make strips rather than blocks. We then cut out a jacket in cheapish fabric to use as a base and fit the seminole strips to it. I found it really useful to pin the strips on, walk away and review over time before committing to the final layout.
That has got to be over 25 years ago and I still have the jacket. Probably not my colour choices now but I still wear it. :P
So many beers, so little time.

Lilian

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 13:41:24 PM »
That is very creative @realale well done!  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 AM »
This amazing creation popped up on my Facebook feed this morning and I thought you might like it for inspiration...  :laughing:   :thumbsup:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 14:09:46 PM »
Oooh, @Acorn I would so wear that!!  :loveit:

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 17:53:08 PM »
@realale Your jacket looks fab. Really interesting about fitting your patchwork pieces to a jacket shell, this sounds similar to the method @Deafoldbat mentioned from the book Jacket Jazz by Judy Murrah. I love the idea of seeing the placement of fabrics on the garment before you commit to stitching them in place.  :)
And of course now you’ve got me watching YouTube videos of Seminole strips  :)

There’s so much to think about and the difference between making a patchwork as opposed to a padded jacket is fascinating. 

@Acorn Love that coat… it probably deserves a thread of its own!

@Iminei Sewjo thief who me???  :o :o :o
Never.….  :angel:

Of course if anyone’s in need of an extra sewing oomph then by all means check out my eBay listing for preloved inspirational amulets…. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 20:35:33 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub that is Rachel Clark who I mentioned up thread. Fantastic human being, incredibly talented, a wonderful teacher. That isn't even her best work. That one weighs a ton but feels really good on. Yeah, she let us try stuff on. Here's her website She sells patterns for this and several other coats. They include a lot of information. She also has a technique book. I've got it somewhere.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

realale

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 15:58:59 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub that is Rachel Clark who I mentioned up thread. Fantastic human being, incredibly talented, a wonderful teacher. That isn't even her best work. That one weighs a ton but feels really good on. Yeah, she let us try stuff on. Here's her website She sells patterns for this and several other coats. They include a lot of information. She also has a technique book. I've got it somewhere.
Well. @Renegade Sewist that sent me down a rabbit hole of droolworthyness. Thankyou for the link.  :loveit: