The Sewing Place

The Great Tapestry of Scotland

SkoutSews

The Great Tapestry of Scotland
« on: October 29, 2021, 18:35:08 PM »
Today I visited The Great Tapestry of Scotland at the new exhibition building in Galashiels. Read all about it here

It took me two hours to get round it all and that was despite a realisation halfway round that I needed to move faster to get round before closing time!  A second visit is definitely on the cards.

The tapestry was finished in 2013 and first displayed in Edinburgh, before it went on tour.  The new, permanent home in Galashiels was purpose-built (at huge expense) and only opened in August.  It consists of 160 linen panels, stitched by teams of community stitchers all over Scotland.  The work is stunning. 

A visit is highly recommended!  The Galashiels stop on the Edinburgh-Tweedbank railway is only 5 minutes walk from the exhibition and there are car parks nearby as well.

Tamnymore

Re: The Great Tapestry of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 19:16:59 PM »
Sounds fabulous @SkoutSews . I love that part of the world. Must go!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 21:05:25 PM »
The Borders area is a well-kept secret!

charley

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 21:06:58 PM »
I must visit this the next time I am visiting my daughter in Glasgow. It must be beautiful.

There is a smaller tapestry in Ireland, New Ross, Co Wexford, called The Ros Tapestry. I have been to see it twice during visits home; I think it may be on tour at the minute though, but if anyone is visiting Ireland it is well worth a visit. All panels made by local stitchers.
https://visitnewross.ie/the-ros-tapestry-new-ross/

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 22:36:47 PM »
That looks interesting, a different style altogether but similar concept.

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 22:41:31 PM »
I saw the tapestry a few years ago when it was touring Scotland. It is so fascinating as it tells the story of Scotland. As you say, it’s difficult to view it all on one day. It feels so much more than a tapestry- wonderful though the needlework is.