The Sewing Place

Table Runner

Diane

Table Runner
« on: November 01, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
Well i'm doing my best to get my mojo back, yesterday i cut out all that i needed for the twisted pole table runner and spent the afternoon/evening tacking them together in pairs. This morning i have machine stitched them and laid them out to make sure i have stitched them all the correct way. I now need to start tacking the pairs together.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

Re: Table Runner
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 14:48:10 PM »
Finished the top and i've sandwiched it together, i think that's enough for today, will carry on with it tomorrow. This evening i'll work out what border to add round it. It’s 52” in length at the moment
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 14:50:31 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 18:58:11 PM »
It's looking lovely @Diane
Willing but not always able :)

Diane

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 06:32:08 AM »
Today I’m hoping to do the border and then quilt my table runner, i also need to have a rummage and see if I have any suitable fabric for the binding if not I’ll have to buy some. I got a bit ahead of myself yesterday and trimmed the backing and wadding to within 1.5” and I haven’t added my border yet  :faints: I have plenty of both so I’ll have to redo that bit.

Bjay

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 09:15:06 AM »
I always thought that a border was added to the top and then batting sandwich was made altogether. Then the binding was added after quilting as the finishing touch.
Of course I may be wrong and it could be that differe6wuilters have, different ways of creating perfection.
I do like that twisty look, it will look spectacular on a table
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Diane

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »
I always thought that a border was added to the top and then batting sandwich was made altogether. Then the binding was added after quilting as the finishing touch.
@Bjay You are absolutely correct, i don't know what i was thinking, i have plenty of fabric and batting so i will be re doing it today. This is what happens when you haven't sewn for a while

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
You're totes correct @Bjay  I expect @Diane was having a brain freeze as it's turned colder  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 10:10:47 AM »
@Lowena  That's exactly it, i'll blame the cold  :laughing: I mean what a div, don't know why i forgot the border. Will put it to one side today whilst i make my border, i have an idea for this so will crack on with it as soon as i get back from the rubbish tip.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 17:15:12 PM »
It’s looking good, well done finding your mojo, I newfound my weaving one yesterday and then I ran out of time and I think the mojo went with it :laughing:

Hope it will be back tomorrow

Diane

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 17:33:24 PM »
I've spent this afternoon piecing all the bits together to make the border, got one more small strip to make then i can get this stitched on tomorrow. I noticed that i'd gone out of sequence on one of the strips so had to sit here and unpick some of the strip, couldn't leave it as it would have annoyed me. Still need to find some suitable fabric for the binding  :thinking: i may just go with the same fabric that i have used for the backing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 18:39:23 PM by Diane »

Diane

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 11:50:39 AM »
Finished the border off this morning and that has all been stitched in place, batting and backing has been recut and pinned in place, once i've quilted it i will fold back the border and stitch in place. I'm tempted to quilt it by hand  :thinking:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 12:02:41 PM by Diane »

Diane

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 19:07:57 PM »
Well i've spent all day snuggled up in my recliner chair hand quilting this table runner  :faints: still haven't finished but had to stop as the light was going. My fingers feel quite sore  :S not sure if i've been using the best needle, i have so many different types of needle that i just went with what looked best. I must say it's been very relaxing and i can now see why some opt to do it this way.

The thing that has been most difficult is the consistency in the length of each stitch and also doing several stitches at once, should they be longer stitches? I'm not quilting all of it, i'm leaving the pole and the twist as is and just quilting everything else, the reason for this is that if i quilt the pole in green thread it will show on the reverse as it's cream fabric likewise with the twist unless i cover the back up with another layer of the cream.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 06:18:53 AM »
A woman with tons of experience at one of the classes/workshops I went to once advised me to first sew the pattern/lines you wanted to hand quilt on your machine, using the longest stitch and NO thread, and then to hand-sew following the holes ... if you see what I mean?

Alternatively use a cheap basting thread in a violent contrasting colour and follow that, taking out the thread as you approach.

I cant hand sew anything as it takes me far too long to thread a needle (eyesight)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
It is looking good, I used to do quite a lot of hand quilting and yes the needle is important, I used to buy some hand painted panels and hand quilt them to be made into cushions.

@Iminei have you tried these https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/prym-self-thread-needles-5-9-pack-of-6  an old friend used to swear  by them, she also said they were good for sewing in short ends on a quilt.  Clover also are them

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 13:19:26 PM »
I use those for burying threads after quilting ... but for general sewing theyre not so good as the thread can disengage from the needle.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again