The Sewing Place

Buttonholer on Treadle

kowgiirl.up

Buttonholer on Treadle
« on: November 01, 2021, 17:29:33 PM »
I'm going for it! @Turquoise mentioned that she has a automatic buttonholer and that got me started on the hunt for one. I picked up a pretty nice on on Etsy from a real nice lady.

Today, since I have the 66 up and running now, I plan on trying the buttonholer on the treadle. Should be fun and I bet I break some needles. Lots of practice is in my future before I attempt a real one  :o

Anyone, is this picture too big?
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

kowgiirl.up

Re: Buttonholer on Treadle
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 19:48:51 PM »
Yep, I broke one. It didn't take that long either. I had fun while it lasted.  :D

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »
@kowgiirl.up !  Lovely to see that you are trying these wonderful buttonholers.  They produce the most beautiful buttonholes, but they do take some practice.

I have several, for my different machines, but my go to buttonholer is the Singer Professional Buttonholer for my 611g Slant Shank. This has lots of templates included for various sizes and styles of buttonholes.

Don't give up, the buttonholes are excellent.  If you are struggling to master yours, try YouTube, there are loads of really useful videos.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 15:32:44 PM »
Thanks, @b15erk I will do exactly that.

I was able to succeed at making two. The broken needle did not do any damage thankfully. I think I didn’t have the plate that attaches to the bed lined up properly.
 It’s just amazing watching that buttonholer move back and forth- like magic. This is so much fun. More practice though, much more practice.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 23:14:21 PM »
I've found that treadling makes my legs tired  0_0

I have ran into a stumbling block though. I need to put a buttonhole in a pair of jeans (waistband only) and the unevenness is causing major problems. Where the jean body goes into the waistband that means there is 5 thickness's of denim on one side and only 2 on the other. I'm scratching my head here. I'm going to tinker with it a bit more today and if I can't get it figured out then I will start a new thread.

Turquoise

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 08:30:56 AM »
@kowgiirl.up   You are probably already doing this but just in case - I use a hammer to try and flatten down the seam thickness on the thicker waistband side before using the buttonholer.

Good luck!

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 16:37:21 PM »
You are probably already doing this but just in case - I use a hammer to try and flatten down the seam thickness on the thicker waistband side before using the buttonholer.

Good luck!

@Turquoise  I forgot :-( I always hammer the belt loops but I have no clue why I don't on the waistband.

I have a bit of a birds nest on a small section of the underside close to where the button will ride. Now I have to decide if I want to rip out all those little tiny stitches. If I do, I will hammer the daylights out of the waistband before trying the buttonhole~ again. This denim is much thicker than what I normally use (think good deal) but I always seem to have this problem. I probably should alter the pattern for a wider waistband.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 17:17:19 PM »
The birds nest just in case some of you do not know what one looks like  :D