The Sewing Place

Alina Designs Short Pattern

kowgiirl.up

Alina Designs Short Pattern
« on: November 02, 2021, 17:48:28 PM »
I plan on buying and printing this pattern later today after I stock up on paper  :D. I noticed that the notions list calls for a plastic coil zipper (or zip to the UK folks :) ). In my mind a plastic zipper in pants/shorts seems like an accident waiting to happen. Are plastic zippers any better than they used to be years ago?

Here's the pattern: https://www.hartsfabric.com/alina-design-co-chi-town-chinos.html.html
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Gernella

Re: Alina Designs Short Pattern
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 18:19:31 PM »
Never had one die yet.  Just a matter of getting a good brand like YKK or similar.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 19:37:29 PM »
No problem if you get a decent make such as YKK or Opti as @Gernella says.  I never like to buy cheap as I feel it’s not worth it.

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 21:06:25 PM »
I've used plastic zips in lighter weight items for decades - but always a name brand. Haven't looked up the style, but if it zips in back, I'd use plastic. If it zips in front and your tummy may place extra stress on it due to styling and how you prefer the fit, then I'd use metal.

I've used name brand jeans zips for years for all of my trousers, after a basic metal one failed shortly after I completed the garment.  But on the occasion I make a back zip I always use plastic as I find them more comfortable. FWIW

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 13:53:13 PM »
For what it's worth I use plastic coil zippers in my flamenco costume dance school makes and have never had a problem. However for custom dresses I wimp out and use metal teeth ones. :[
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !