The Sewing Place

Embroidered cards

Bodgeitandscarper

Embroidered cards
« on: November 03, 2021, 18:38:44 PM »
Another first for me - embroidering on card.

I just need a better glue to stick down the paper that's covering the back.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ohsewsimple

Re: Embroidered cards
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 18:51:36 PM »
That’s great @Bodgeitandscarper.  Perfect open design.  Was it one specifically for cards? 
I prefer double sided tape to glue or glue sticks.   I found that messy or didn’t work.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 18:54:20 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  from past experience of cardmaking I think that the red double sided sticky tape is the most secure type of adhesive for this.  Put the tape right around the outside and then a couple of bits in the middle (to stop it flapping about) and it will stay put.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 18:56:36 PM »
Very nicely done!  I like to do some embroidered cards too.  There are designs made especially for that. But if you can’t find one you like, redwork designs will double very well, as card designs.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 19:07:36 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion of double sided tape - I have a red coloured glue "mouse", is that the same thing?

The design was specifically for cardstock, so has sewn nicely.  I've one or two others to try as well, but need some stabiliser - I'm quite sure it was interfacing I used as it was quite thick!!

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 22:09:18 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion of double sided tape - I have a red coloured glue "mouse", is that the same thing?

The design was specifically for cardstock, so has sewn nicely.  I've one or two others to try as well, but need some stabiliser - I'm quite sure it was interfacing I used as it was quite thick!!

I don't know.  The red DST looks like this  You peel the red plastic backing off.

Ordinary white DST, which isn't as strong, looks like this, and you peel the white paper backing off.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 23:02:48 PM »
That card is fab @Bodgeitandscarper . Do you need a particular type of needle? Standard card?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 06:56:33 AM »
Very pretty  <3
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 09:08:54 AM »
@Lachica Same needle I always use, they came with the machine ( I only change needles when they break!!) and it's on a ready folded card, which may have been from The Range a few years ago.

@BrendaP Sticky tape ordered, thank you!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:11:20 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

realale

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 10:12:41 AM »
Another one who only uses double sided tape. I did try stick glue etc but it wasn't strong enough. I embroider on fabric and use aperture cards.
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 11:43:58 AM »
@Lachica Same needle I always use, they came with the machine ( I only change needles when they break!!)

Hopefully you don’t use the same one for fabric and card?   Blunt needles can ruin your fabric. 

coffeeandcake

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 13:07:14 PM »
I like the card embroidery @Bodgeitandscarper.  I'm just trying to work out whether you embroider onto a wash away stabiliser and then stick the design onto your card or whether it's embroidered directly onto the card?  Going through the posts it looks as though you do it directly onto the card with a stabiliser on top for hooping. Is that correct?   

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 13:09:10 PM »
Hopefully you don’t use the same one for fabric and card?   Blunt needles can ruin your fabric.

I'll change to a new needle when I'm done with cards then if I remember. :thumbsup:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 13:13:25 PM »
@coffeeandcake I hooped a cut away stabiliser, then glued the card to it.  Seems to be the approved method, and it worked well.  I just need to be a bit more careful about centring the card though, but it was close!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 13:20:18 PM »
Thank you @Bodgeitandscarper  :)  One more question (I think I have the same machine as you - Brother V3) do you embroider onto card at a slower speed?