The Sewing Place

Embroidered cards

Diane

Re: Embroidered cards
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2021, 19:05:06 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper That is a very good point regarding the V3, i have a decent sewing machine already and if i got a V3 i'd save around £1500  :thinking:

@Lachica I can afford it but i know it would make me feel a bit guilty spending all that money (you did notice i said a bit guilty :laughing: not that guilty
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

coffeeandcake

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2021, 20:03:52 PM »
My attitude is...if you aren't going to use it frequently and regularly don't buy it as you don't need it. Have you the need, space,time  to make the outlay viable? Will your usage recoup the outlay? How will you use it?
Think before you impulse buy

I totally understand your attitude @Lowena if you have to justify your purchases for whatever reason but sometimes it's just lovely to have possessions for the joy that they bring us.  I certainly can't justify all of my machines but they give me great pleasure and I'm very fortunate to have a very enabling DH :loveit: 

Lachica

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2021, 20:36:57 PM »
@Lowena I'd agree if I were running a business, but I'm not & so don't need to justify the outlay.  If I want something I'll get it. If I get fed up with it I can sell it on. I hope I've got another 10 years to enjoy my hobbies but none of us can be sure. I regret not doing a parachute jump when younger, I won't add any more regrets.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2021, 23:34:04 PM »
@Lachica @Ohsewsimple  That isn't helping  :laughing: what your supposed to say is "don't be ridiculous it's too much money and you'll never use it"  :devil:

@Diane no, it’s a sewing/embroidery machine and I’m never going to say that.   :)   I’m sure like me you worked for a lot of years and as @Lachica said if you can afford it and it will give you pleasure go for it.  There’s no need to justify spending the money.  You’re a long time dead!   

Diane

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »
@Ohsewsimple You are right, i worked for 40 years non stop, i'll think about it over the weekend. Mind you i have just noticed that you need a computer with the V5 model and i don't have one, just a chomebook so that would be an issue.
@Lachica A parachute jump  :faints: i think i'll skip that one
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 08:28:16 AM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2021, 08:52:57 AM »
Elvistoo (V3) is very underused Im afraid ... but when I do haul him out from underneath his duvet He works like a dream.

If you do get the V5 (combined sewing/embroidery machine) you be disgusted and sorely disappointed with the crappy cover they include ... I made Elvistoo a new one ... it was going to be a toile but it works fine and I really cant be bothered making a new one ... unless I find the perfect Elvis fabric!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 08:55:44 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

coffeeandcake

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2021, 09:01:32 AM »
@Diane it doesn't need to be a desktop pc; a laptop such as a chromebook is fine. You just use it for downloading commercial designs and transferring them to the machine via a USB stick. Embroidery machines also have several inbuilt designs already.

I have done a parachute jump  :D

Diane

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »
@Iminei I love your machine cover  :loveit:

@coffeeandcake That's interesting, i just went on to the brother website and looked at the software updates page and you have to check a box stating if you have Windows or Mac, i'm confused, i just don't want to make a purchase and then find i can't update the software. This weekend i will decide what i want to do, i need to look at what i would use a machine for and if i would seriously use an embroidery machine, i like making clothes and i love patchwork and quilting so another machine that comes in to play for me is the brother VQ2.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 09:17:28 AM by Diane »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2021, 09:27:07 AM »
@Diane my OH uses a chromebook, he says you could download files then transfer them, but you can't install any programmes on a chromebook.  So you should be able to buy embroidery files on t'interweb and put them on a usb stick.

Diane

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2021, 09:33:46 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper That's good to know, didn't want to buy something to find out i couldn't update it

Lachica

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2021, 11:32:14 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper makes a good point about transferring bought designs. I bought an OTG cable for my phone for that purpose but have never made it work. I couldn't download from iPad either but that may have been because I don't have any other Apple devices.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Elnnina

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »
As you say Diane you have worked hard for the last 40 years or so, so why not now enjoy your new phase of life, and if an embroidery machine is the way to go then why not.  I imagine you will have lots of fun with this, and of course opens up a whole new area for you to explore.  There are so many threads out there, you can actually buy a Madeira chest of embroidery threads and thus this keeps those sorts of threads all intact and away from ordinary sewing threads.  So many different fabrics to explore and enjoy and then there is all the stabilising fabrics - you would have a wonderful time finding out what suits you best.

Apart from the American sites where you can buy your designs there is a company down in Australia called Sue Box and some of her embroidery designs are rather nice.  Go on and have fun.

Celia

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2021, 11:54:51 AM »
Yes @Diane i need more encouragement to get mine out and use it.  :devil:

realale

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2021, 11:56:23 AM »
I didn't think I would use my embroidery machine much when I bought it but it was a retirement present to myself and I love it!!  :loveit: I use it a lot and at the moment it is going virtually non stop as I'm trying to do Christmas projects that require 24 embroideries. I am having so much fun.
Last year I made myself a Christmas waistcoat and used loads of embroideries. This year I have a red hoodie that I plan on making into a Christmas 'jumper'.
I make birthday and Christmas cards as well as coasters/mug rugs, cushions and anything else I think I can embroider. My son (aged 38, so no spring chicken  :P) loves punk and rock emblems embroidered on his sweatshirts. The number of times I've been asked to do stuff for our pub customers is astronomical (the answer is always "no"!! I sew for my own enjoyment and don't intend to add stress to my hobby).
If you can afford it, go for it.
If you don't like it you can always sell it on..... ;)
For Christmas last year hubby bought me the Madeira chest of embroidery threads (well, strictly speaking I bought it and he paid  :laughing:). He then went to an auction later in the year and bought a mixed lot of embroidery threads - when I get round to it and they are all sorted I'll put some on the for sale thread as there is more here then I'll use in this lifetime!!  :D
My favourite embroidery site is Urban Threads but there are plenty out there to tempt you.
So go for it and enjoy!!  :thumbsup:
So many beers, so little time.

Diane

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2021, 12:13:48 PM »
I think you ladies are trying to tempt me  :laughing: I have the funds but I need to be really sure before I make a purchase, I’m going to think about it over the weekend and see how I feel. I do love hand embroidery and get great satisfaction out of doing this snuggled up in my chair of an evening and I’m not sure how it would me feel just flicking a switch and the machine does it all for you.
I have a chest with every embroidery thread colour going, DH bought it for me a while back and I do use it.
I don’t want to end up just embroidering things just for the sake of it and I’ll get much more enjoyment out of a machine if I know that I’ll be using it a fair bit. I don’t really have the space to store two machines so it would either have to be the V5 or an upgrade to the VQ2, at the moment I’m swaying to the VQ2 which would be a major upgrade on what I have now, I can store it easily etc etc ……..I can feel a purchase coming on  :laughing: