The Sewing Place

Long cream linen skirt

Silver Rose

Long cream linen skirt
« on: November 04, 2021, 07:28:27 AM »
Before I went into hospital for my hip op I cut out my favourite  8 panelled skirt in natural coloured linen  mix, the skirt is sewn but the lining is still pinned together, I'll see if I can sit long enough to sew the French seams on the lining, I am really missing my sewing  :(   a sign of recovery maybe.

Lemon Syllabub

Re: Long cream linen skirt
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 07:38:16 AM »
Your skirt sounds lovely. And you sound as though you're on the mend.  :)

Happy sewing.  :loveit:

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 07:48:28 AM »
Thanks  @Lemon Syllabub , I have made several versions of this skirt in many different  fabrics, I made the pattern from a RTW skirt from BHS that I bought eons ago when I was working, 1990s I think. It is very simple,  fitted over the hips and slightly flaring to the hem, I usually wear it almost  ankle length,  lovely and cool in fine cotton lawn  for summer or soft  wool tweed for cooler days. I love linen clothes   not bothered about the creases.
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 11:54:58 AM »
Thanks  @Lemon Syllabub , I have made several versions of this skirt in many different  fabrics, I made the pattern from a RTW skirt from BHS that I bought eons ago when I was working, 1990s I think. It is very simple,  fitted over the hips and slightly flaring to the hem, I usually wear it almost  ankle length,  lovely and cool in fine cotton lawn  for summer or soft  wool tweed for cooler days. I love linen clothes   not bothered about the creases.

I so agree about the linen and creases @Silver Rose.  You know someone is wearing linen if there’s a few creases.  Equally you know someone is probably wearing horrible polyester if there aren’t any!   :)

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »
@Ohsewsimple I  ordered some emerald green linen chambray to make a jacket to go with the skirt but Croft Mill didn't  have enough, I'm waiting  for it to come in again, I knew I should have ordered it as soon as I saw it instead of humming and hawing  :S
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 14:35:24 PM »
Managed to get the lining sewed this afternoon, well half as I am doing French seams and I need to press it before  pinning to sew the second time. I can't  manage to stand to use the iron so that'll  have to wait until tomorrow.  It was lovely  to sit and use my machine just for that short time, it has been over a month since sewing the skirt.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 17:31:50 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 16:15:08 PM »
Finished  off the French seams and have tacked the lining  to the skirt after a quick fitting, it's been hung up for  so long I couldn't  remember if I had tried it for  fit. So another small step.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 16:21:27 PM »
The lining is in and ready to be pressed before top stitching the waist. I have pinned the hems of the skirt and linng ready for the next sewing  session  but will need another bobbin  wound before that. Now thinking about a  brightly coloured linen summer jacket to go with it forgetting that I have two summer blazer style jackets that I made a few years ago. They haven't  been worn much but I want a emerald green one in a different style.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 12:32:47 PM »
Had a lovely half hour or so on my machine, the waist is topstitched and the lining hem is done, I've pinned the skirt hem but I'll need a new bobbin of thread to sew that. The more I use the Janome the more I love her, she simply purrs along  <3 and I like that I can now sew slowly if needed.
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 13:55:55 PM »
Yes the speed limiter is fab isnt it .. When I quilt odd shapes, like the jellyfish, I literally stitch one stich at a time.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 11:19:07 AM »
Finished the hem and I've pressed it as well as I can. I've rewarded myself with a coffee and the last caramel wafer in the house.
Still learning