The Sewing Place

Winter hat knit along please join

Celia

Winter hat knit along please join
« on: November 05, 2021, 09:46:16 AM »
Well you asked for it so here we are  a place for all your lovely hats.

No rules or regulations just help and advice and a place to post your hats, I hope some of you will join in soon.

Celia

Re: Winter hat knit along please join
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 09:49:07 AM »
I will start

This year I have knitted quite a few Shetland hats, my favourite is not in the photo as my Son has it I might add it later, the ones in the photo are using wool I already had so the colours are not my first choice, it is something I have always wanted to knit just for fun and to learn.

I have another sheep hat nearly finished that is like the red one I put on the sock thread.

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »
That is beautiful Celia and reminds me of when I was about 7 years old and wore a beautiful fair isle beret in a lovely pattern that my father had knitted - he did knit some beautiful garments back then, but after that no more.  He found he had no choice but to learn to knit when he was needing what  I think it is called a balaclava during WW2 - he was in the RAF, so as he couldn't find anyone to help him out he set to to knit one for himself, and then proceeded to carry on knitting and this time it was some beautiful and intricate fair isle patterns.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 19:43:06 PM »
I can knit a hat  :D I have some lovely wool and it won't take long to knit
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Turquoise

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 08:44:08 AM »
That’s a really pretty hat @Diane - how much yarn does it need?  I have a bag of some lovely Rowan yarns of various lengths left over from a sweater I made years ago and it would be good to use it up at last.  One of the colours has a fair bit left so might work for a hat like that.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good fairisle hat pattern, that might use up the bits and pieces of the other colours.

Diane

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 08:51:29 AM »
That’s a really pretty hat @Diane - how much yarn does it need? 

It takes 120g of Aran yarn, the pattern is really pretty and quick to knit, it has just 53 rows, i started yesterday morning and will have it done today. This is the yarn I’ve used in grey tones and I also have it in purple/brown so I may make two
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:42:07 AM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 09:02:36 AM »
Brilliant @Diane  that looks like a lovely snuggly warm hat but fashionable too.  Come on girls you wanted a hat thread where are you.
I am thinking of this one next https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=5741&cid=19
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:29:51 AM by Celia »

Diane

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 09:16:24 AM »
That's a lovely hat @Celia, the wool is Sirdar Jewelspun Aran and it's so soft ,i've been knitting for the past 2 hours  :laughing:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:21:10 AM by Diane »

SingingSinger

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
I'll join in! I haven't picked a pattern or yarn yet, but will find something in my stash. I'll have a look today and report back  :)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »
I'd join in.....if I could knit  :| :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 10:33:55 AM »
@Lowena if you are tempted this is a very teacher https://youtu.be/UMadNYkKLiI. I can always change the subject line to Hats and scarves :devil:

Turquoise

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 11:52:58 AM »
Go for it @Lowena .  I’m not a very accomplished or quick knitter, I’m just stubborn and decided that it’s ok if my first attempt isn’t great or if I have to unpick and do a bit again.

I used to knit years ago alongside a neighbour who was always helping me out and gave me the confidence to knit all sorts of things with her assistance.   Recently I picked it up again but had lost confidence so started with scarves and then I did some fingerless gloves to have a go at shaping and now I’m up for trying anything but just cutting myself some slack.  Go on, you might love it - I find it great for winding down and staying away from screens in the evenings.

Diane

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »
Well I’ve finished the grey one, will sit here this afternoon and make a start on the purple/brown one
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:00:28 PM by Diane »

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 13:17:26 PM »
Thank you for the encouragement @Turquoise  I learnt to knit at Infant school in 1954  :faints:. My Mum was a brilliant knitted but had no patience with me or my efforts so I've never knit since.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 15:16:55 PM »
I have hunted high and low for the piccie of my best earflap hat - I will just have to get Mr Bear to take another one.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!