The Sewing Place

Winter hat knit along please join

Ann

Re: Winter hat knit along please join
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
After knitting 4 pairs of socks, I decided to knit a head band. The yarn is one DD bought for me from the clearance bin at the big box fabric store and is 50% cotton 50% polyester. The pattern is for a twisted headband. I have never knit an English rib and am loving it. It certainly makes the headband warm.

I cast on and got quite a few rows knit last night. I need a fast knit on larger needles and this fits the bill.

I am enjoying looking at all the hats people are knitting. They are gorgeous and look so warm.

Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

SingingSinger

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2021, 12:32:26 PM »
I have never knit an English rib and am loving it. It certainly makes the headband warm.

That's interesting. I've never heard of English rib before. That must be something different to K1 P1?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 17:42:22 PM by SingingSinger »
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

SingingSinger

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2021, 12:40:22 PM »
Hat no. 2 is underway. The pattern is similar but different to my first one. I'm knitting the
Rocky Ridge hat from Ravelry.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Ann

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2021, 21:30:32 PM »
The headband is finished and quite cute.

I have started another one as it is any easy knit. Just what I need as I got my booster shot today.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2021, 11:32:15 AM »
The second headband is done. I used yarn from the stash. It is Red Heart Unforgettable. A part ball left over from making hats for DD's friends. It's acrylic worsted weight. It knit up quickly.

The yarn has no twist to it so it split easily if I tried to knit fast. Other than that, it was an easy  knit. Next up is a pair of mitts for me. I love mitts over thin gloves. I have some luxury yarn to use for them.
Stash Busting 2023

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2021, 14:03:06 PM »
@Ann I love that, I am sure DD1 would too, I may have a go
BB
  • Ann likes this
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

WendyW

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2021, 05:34:45 AM »
I completed 4 hats, but only have pictures of 3.

This one was made for my husband. It had a white pom-pom on top but he asked me to remove it. I struggled with the shaping of all the hats I made. I was happy with the shape of this one, but it's messy. I had to unknit the top and redo it and the yarn did not appreciate the extra handling.
Sid's hat by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

My grandkids' hats. The jewel-toned one I pictured in an earlier post also. It came out too big for her, and I would have given it to my son's girlfriend instead, but didn't have enough time to make another for my granddaughter.  Both kids loved the pom-pom on my husband's hat and asked for them on their hats. With the addition of the pom-pom and the cuff unfolded, it made an adorable slouch hat for her. Wish I'd gotten a picture of that.
My grandson's balaclava was something new for me. All over seed stitch, and the front ribbing is double-knit, something I didn't know Could be done. His looked a little silly with the pom-pom added, but he's 3. He's allowed to look silly!
The kids AND most of the adults were fascinated with the process of making the pom-poms, which I found to be amusing.
Kids hats by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Celia

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »
Those hats are lovely I really like the rainbow balaclava. I have made several fair isle hats and have suddenly thought I really want a chunky hat for me WHY don’t really know

BrendaP

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2021, 16:50:41 PM »
I look at the bobble hats which the female presenters on Winter Watch and Country File wear and they look great, but they never look as good on me.  Is it possible to wear a bobble hat incorrectly?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2022, 09:15:23 AM »
Very late on here, but I can't see any finish date, so may I join in?

I found a couple of hats I started knitting a few years ago, in a bag of yarn I brought home from work a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately, the pattern was hand written from a video I'd seen.  I did however, find the video, and adapted the fit to suit myself, as the weather is becoming decidedly nippy.

So, here is the result.  I hate the bobble, and will buy something more suiitable asap. but the fit is OK.  I may or may not finish the next one for DD, but in the meantime, I've started a second hat, in a more suitable colour - suitable bobbles will be ordered later today.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2022, 09:46:03 AM »
The colour may not be suitable, but it is gorgeous!  Lovely hat.

I finished my hat, but have unravelled half of it, so mine will also be late.  It has a fold over brim, which matches my scarf, but the pattern for the rest was in K2p2 rib.  I decided it would look better in stocking stitch, but completely overlooked the fact that rib is stretchy, and stocking stitch is not, so it ended up with wrinkles.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2022, 10:45:45 AM »
@b15erk  and @Acorn , ladies,  Spring begins on March 20th. There's a whole lot of winter left between now and then. Love the pink hat.  What's wrong with the giant pink pompom? Too big? It's cute.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2022, 11:53:11 AM »
That looks nice and cosy @b15erk.  Personally no pom poms would ever be seen on a hat of mine! I hate the things. 

Turquoise

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2022, 20:19:14 PM »
So I’ve finally taken photos of the hats.  The chunky one is really quick to knit up and the Fair Isle one was good for using up bits and bobs of yarns.
    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 20:21:58 PM by Turquoise »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2022, 21:50:00 PM »
Ooh nice @Turquoise.  And no pom  poms :thumb: