The Sewing Place

sewing room for sale on FB:(

Gernella

sewing room for sale on FB:(
« on: November 05, 2021, 15:16:32 PM »
On FB and being sold by a relative.  Loads of large cone threads, Husqvarna Rose and an overlocker, lots of what looked like quilting fabric, lots of scissors.  I felt quite sad that somebody had accumulated it all and now it was being sold by someone not interested in sewing.

I think I might try and turn over a new leaf  :boohoo: in the New Year and try and get through what  have without buying too much extra, maybe set a financial limit.  Not sure whether it will work or not, although looking at my list, despite a couple of months off, I have done quite a bit of what I wanted.

I want it to look like a hobby not a business.  Fortunately my nieces will probably have my stuff if I fall off the perch.  No good to DH, he's still doing little repair jobs with a reel of cotton that came from his mothers in 1980, won't accept anything else.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 16:06:40 PM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

Re: sewing room for sale on FD:(
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 15:33:52 PM »
@Gernella  ... FD ?????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 16:00:22 PM »
@Gernella what's FD?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

coffeeandcake

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 16:03:39 PM »
I think @Gernella meant Facebook. I saw the ad a couple of days ago: lots of stuff near to Nottingham IIRC.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 16:06:20 PM »
Sorry FB @Iminei and @Lowena  I've had a hard afternoon :laughing:
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

Re: sewing room for sale on FB:(
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 16:07:02 PM »
 :D thank you both
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 16:45:34 PM »
I picked up a skein of embroidery thread the other day. Just the right colours for the small experimental piece I was playing with.
Then I realised that it was silk and thought "Oh I need to keep that for a special project".

Gave myself a shake and reminded myself of the stacks of stuff that friends have left. So I used some of the thread and still have plenty for something else.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 20:27:40 PM »
I scored some wool and silk fabric a few years back from a couple of thrift stores. I noticed new pieces coming out over many weeks. I finally asked and was told a woman had passed and she had lived in a smallish (by U.S. standards) 3 bedroom home. Her niece had to rent  a 16' truck to empty the house of sewing "stuff". She filled the truck, top to bottom, back to front 3 times. Each time she unloaded she had to go to several thrift stores to get rid of each truckload, and the thrift stores could only put so much out at a time.

Between that and seeing how my once fanatically neat and organized Mom cannot mentally dispose of anything that might be useful, (care to discuss how many empty pickle jars one needs? - me neither) my bucket list includes making certain all is organized and reasonable as a collection. The Marie Kondo question has become my mantra, "Does it bring me joy?" Even when shopping and something new catches my eye, this is my process:  "Will I use this immediately?" If I don't have a specific need/desire, "Will it give me joy to own this?"

It's rare that I bring home anything sewing related (actually anything at all) that doesn't have a specific plan in place.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 21:39:03 PM »
Yes a salutary lesson not to accumulate so much - I should take heed.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Diane

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
Too late for me  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 09:01:43 AM »
@Gernella ooh I'm in Nottingham, mind don't really need anything.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 10:19:53 AM »
To be perfectly truthful  @SewRuthieSews I think even if it was in my own village I wouldn't buy, it would be like stealing from the dead, on Ebay provenance unknown.

I've got into the habit  of mixing threads which works very well even on a sewing machine, top the right or near enough colour, bottom whatever has enough on.  120 threads are good for this they seem to take on the fabric's colour as  they sink in a bit.

Celia

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
I do that with overlocker thread  I rarely use the correct colour and could probably manage with just black, white and grey.

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
I do that with overlocker thread  I rarely use the correct colour and could probably manage with just black, white and grey.
I do exactly the same on my overlocker(s).