The Sewing Place

Would the pics inspire you?

sewmuchmore

Would the pics inspire you?
« on: November 06, 2021, 15:49:24 PM »
Came across NH Patterns on Etsy but have you seen the mismatched checks? Now i am not normally one to criticise but one of my bug bears is checks and tartan that do not match up. Really doesn't inspire me to buy the patterns. dress and trousers 
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Gernella

Re: Would the pics inspire you?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 16:07:17 PM »
I always think mismatched means cheaply made @sewmuchmore
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 16:30:26 PM »
I actually quite like the trouser pattern, but why would you pick that fabric to advertise it?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

justpottering

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 16:36:36 PM »
It seems that mismatched (especially tartan is all the rage now  :rolleyes:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 16:39:36 PM »
I hate mismatched checks too.  However, should we just get over that instead of using so much extra fabric and creating more waste?    :thinking: 
If you wanted to match checks does she give you the correct amount to buy?

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 17:35:05 PM »
The skirt part of the dress looks as if it's not even on straight  :faints:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 17:50:07 PM »
There are three pics in the trouser review section with the checks perfectly pattern matched.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 18:56:35 PM »
I'm trying to figure out why anyone wouldn't be able to match such large checks  especially when they are trying to use them for pattern sales  :thinking:. The Hepworth pattern has much smaller checks and from what I could see in the photo's they looked nicely matched if you don't look at how the waistband was matched to the body.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 19:00:41 PM »
I agree - not a fan of mismatched tartan!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 21:13:54 PM »
If you are going to use tartan it HAS to match.

A few days ago the Duchess of Cornwall visited a hospice in Eastbourne and wore a tartan coat; with immaculate pattern matching.  Although none of the still photos really show it, the TV videos revealed that underneath the coat she was wearing a skirt - or more likely a dress - cut on the bias which I thought was nice. 

https://www.newmyroyals.com/2021/11/the-duchess-of-cornwall-visited-st.html
You can just see it in the tree planting pic.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 21:48:57 PM »
That's a lovely coat. The Duchess of Cornwall wears some stylish clothes.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ouryve

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 22:22:33 PM »
Not just mismatched, it's not even level!

Friday Pattern Co never fails to horrify me with the terrible making up of pattern samples. Like the colour blocked bomber jacket with nothing aligned and the latest one, a blouse with a collar that simply does not sit right in some of the samples.

I was discussing this with my mum, the other day. In her generation, people (OK, mostly girls and women) were taught to sew. Some of that passed down to my generation. Now there's a new batch of sewers who are largely self taught  and, even though there are endless Internet resources that I know I very much appreciate, may not even be aware that they need to master those things.

Still no excuse for cutting on the wonk and using that to sell your wares, mind!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 22:29:11 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Esme866

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 05:02:55 AM »
These kinds of poor quality samples are why I have a shady opinion of independant pattern companies. I know some of the more established indies are reliable, but if newer entries can't get their samples right, why should anyone assume the drafting and grading are correct.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 08:06:28 AM »
I often look at the new Indie pattern releases on various websites. Some of the patterns look great but the odd one doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. I’m not sure whether sellers don’t ‘see’ the mistakes or whether they do see what we see and think it’s perfectly fine.  :rolleyes:

William

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 23:16:29 PM »
Is it possible that the non-alinged tartans were intentional to reflect their idea of what household sewists 'reasonably' might do?

I find it funny that the pictures submitted by those private individuals who made the clothes are all very well tartan matched, much better than the company's pics.

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.