The Sewing Place

Looking for reasonably priced stretch fabric for nightwear

Celia

Looking for reasonably priced stretch fabric for nightwear
« on: November 07, 2021, 11:37:50 AM »
I am looking for something fun, wintery and maybe a bit ch——y f abric.  In a cotton jersey to make another nightdress, I don’t want to spend a fortune on it but everything I find I like has green in it, or cost a fortune,  I also don’t want it see through yes there is some out there.

I never wear green my Mum had a real thing about not wearing or even having it in the house, I think the garden was ok :S she did have grass, since I lost her I seem to have a real problem with it to, it is amazing how difficult it is to avoid in pattern fabrics especially as I like pinks, blue and purples they seem to always stick green in with it.

If anyone sees anything can they let me know.   Off to do some more research

Luckily green has never been a favourite colour of mine and I can usually avoid it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:40:45 PM by Celia »

Ouryve

Re: Looking for reasonably priced stretch fabric for nightwear
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 13:16:44 PM »
I'll not recommend the penguins I'm currently making a jammie top for winter with, then, as some of them have green scarves and hats!

I've found that printed cotton lycra Jersey is something that you really do get what you pay for, unfortunately. I'll pay up to £18pm for something nice and heavy, better still if the background is self coloured, rather than just printed on like so many are. Every time I buy cheap, I end up disappointed with the quality.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 13:54:24 PM »
Depends on what you call reasonable, but lots here and a couple here and here. A couple here but they are 95% cotton 5% elastine they do have a good selection of non xmas cotton jersey.
this this or this
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 14:03:08 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 14:25:44 PM »
@Celia Was your mum of Irish stock/catholic?  My granny was descended from potato famine refugees and she would never have anything green in the house.  I think it might be a folk memory of the 1798, "they're hanging men and women for the wearing of the green" episode.

Online Fabrics have a wide range and will send you a (chargeable but large) swatch for you to see before you commit.
https://www.online-fabrics.co.uk/search/for/cotton+jersey/page/1/

https://www.croftmill.co.uk/ also have a wide range of cotton jersey and do samples, which start free then get chargeable.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 14:32:34 PM »
@sewmuchmore thank you for those links they are great, I particularly love the first one and can’t believe they sell the Jalie pattern I was about to buy as a pdf for about the same price  :hug: :hug: I am very grateful. I have already ordered the pattern, still looking at fabrics

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 14:35:46 PM »
I had an aunt who wouldn't have anything green in the house. It's apparently thought to be bad luck to bring tree blossom - apple, hawthorn etc - indoors. I believe it goes back to very early times when they believed that evil spirits lived in trees and shrubbery, The tradition of bringing greenery into the house at Christmas was to lull the spirits into thinking they were welcome at celebrations and then, when the holly, ivy or whatever had dried out nicely, at 12th night it was torn down and hurled into the fireplace, thus killing the spirits.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 14:41:40 PM »
@Celia my Irish, Catholic Nana wouldn't have green in the house either.
She looked after me until I was 5 as my Mum worked. I think that's where I got my " down" on green from  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 14:44:21 PM »
Funny Mum wasn’t Irish but my Dads mum was, he also didn’t wear green or have anything green but I always thought that was because of my Mum.
@HenriettaMaria thank you for the links I am still looking……..

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 20:16:00 PM »
I’ve never heard of not having anything ‘Green’ in the house being ‘a thing’.
I’ll have to ask around my friends.  :laughing:

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 23:56:25 PM »
MIL wouldn't have anything green, but if you could persuade her it was blue or yellow it was OK!  I have no idea why she was so averse to green, but definitely no Irish or Catholic connection.  On the other hand our own @Lowena is also very anti-green and I know that she does have an Irish Catholic background.  Maybe she knows why.

Back to cotton jersey - if plain white is OK Immanuels have it for £2 per metre
https://www.immanuelfabrics.com/product-page/cotton-jersey
and it's lovely and soft, ideal for a nighty; I've made two.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 01:02:47 AM »
@Celia my Irish, Catholic Nana wouldn't have green in the house either.
She looked after me until I was 5 as my Mum worked. I think that's where I got my " down" on green from  :D

The only explanation I can think of @Brenda  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 09:05:20 AM »
@BrendaP that fabric looks amazing price wise is it thick enough not to be see through, that’s my worry with white.  I am also on the hunt for some sweatshirt or fleece material, it’s a long time since I looked for fabric so it’s good to have all these websites.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 09:22:41 AM »
Since when did jersey get sooo expensive?  :o  I only used to pay about £6 - £7 a metre, now it seems to be double that  :S
Good job I've have lots of tops and still have two nice lengths to make up sometime.

Celia

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 09:30:35 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper i am glad to hear you say that I thought maybe I was being a bit of a cheapskate, I am reluctant to pay well over £20 for the fabric to make a simple tee shirt type nightdress.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »
@BrendaP that fabric looks amazing price wise is it thick enough not to be see through, that’s my worry with white.  I am also on the hunt for some sweatshirt or fleece material, it’s a long time since I looked for fabric so it’s good to have all these websites.
@Celia it's a single jersey which I didn't think was see through, but then I only wear a nightie in bed. Here is a piece of it draped over Agathw who is wearing a dark dress and my painting apron.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.