The Sewing Place

V1395 Rebecca Taylor

Fabric Lover

Re: V1395 Rebecca Taylor
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »
Jessie if you didn't notice the mark when it was laid out on the cutting table, maybe it wouldn't be noticeable when on you? At least the pen is the same colour as the background and therefore might not stand out.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »
FL, I'm afraid it will show massively.  I didn't notice it when cutting out, as it was the underneath layer.

Lesson learned though, check fabric for flaws, faults and other anomalies before cutting out.   ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 14:11:26 PM »
My only idea is to make it a feature, and put a complementing black flower appliqué on top of it....

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 14:19:19 PM »
Brake cleaner is tetrachloroethylene aka dry cleaning fluid. Chlorinated solvents are good for all sorts of cleaning jobs too but use in a VERY well ventilated area if you're going to try that. It might work but failing that the acetone definitely will.
As Manuela says it might come to patching a flower on top. You're the only one who'll notice. Gorgeous fabric too!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 19:28:42 PM »
How incredibly annoying - I feel your pain.   :'(

Good luck with the solvents.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 19:39:29 PM »
What MAnuela said...but why not cut the ACTUAL flower pattern from scraps, and applique it over with a black zigzag.  Invisible!  Or if it could look like  a design feature, make it one red flower...
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »
Progress so far.  I tried the Brake Cleaner on a scrap of fabric, and it didn't damage the fabric, so I felt safe trying it on this dress.  I put a cardboard tube over the mark, and sprayed the brake cleaner into it (so that it wouldn't go anywhere it shouldn't).  I repeated this several times, but no joy.  The stain was still there, albeit a tad less black!

So, to plan B.  I cut out an applique shape this morning, undid the back seam, and matched up, as best I could.  I didn't want to stitch, as I thought that would make it even more noticeable.  Applique cut roughly, I ironed the applique sticky stuff onto it.  I peeled the paper off the back, and jiggled it into the best position I could, and ironed it on. 

If I can obtain some acetone, and it removes the mark, I can peel it off.  If not, it's not a bad fix.

Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions.  I knew you lot would help me sort it out!

What do you think?

Jessie
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:03:53 AM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
Great fix Jessie.  You wouldn't know it was there, if you didn't know.......if you know what I mean  :S

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »
I think you've cracked it, well done.
Unless someone, who only came up to your waist, was standing behind you in a queue of a couple of hours I really don't think anyone would notice at all.
Life's too short for ironing.

Manuela

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 13:57:09 PM »
Great save Jessie  :toast:

Lilian

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 19:23:38 PM »
How annoying Jessie, I'm glad you managed to fix it, it looks great  :toast:
Willing but not always able :)