The Sewing Place

Overlocker?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Overlocker?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 19:03:57 PM »
I sew lots of jersey and couldn't do it without an overlocker!  I have a Brother 3034, had it about 6 years, it's great.  Very noisy, but sews well.  The threading is dead easy, just remember to do each thread in the right order. 

Andymat

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 21:47:30 PM »
I have the Bernina 800DL, which used to be made by Juki for them.  It’s a great machine and I think Juki are still selling them under their own name but I can’t remember the model number.

I did a search and I think the Juki version is a MO-104D. It seems to be more expensive than the Bernina although the Bernina is no longer available by the looks of things.

I did look for this Bernina machine when I started looking as the PattyDoo lady in Germany uses one and I was intrigued. I just wasn't thinking of spending that sort of money but now people are making me think twice!

Andymat

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 21:51:04 PM »
I sew lots of jersey and couldn't do it without an overlocker!  I have a Brother 3034, had it about 6 years, it's great.  Very noisy...

I have heard that the Brother machines were quite noisy - I wonder if that is one of the reasons why @Ohsewsimple is not keen?

Andymat

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2021, 22:02:19 PM »
Thank you everyone - there is certainly a lot to think about in your comments and they are all much appreciated.

There is a shop in Whitley Bay which I might go and take a look in. It would be useful to see (and hear) a machine or two - I do not know anyone who has one at the moment.

Many thanks, Andy

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 22:03:07 PM »
@Andymat I used loads of different makes and models in my job.  I have a Bernina myself.  It sounds nice.  That may sound weird but you just know somehow it’s going to be nice to use. 
The Brothers I’ve used don’t sound great but the problems I had were not being able to get a decent finish in some fine fabric.  At the time the Brother rep was with us.  She couldn’t get it to work well either.    :( But they’re miles better than the machines from Lidl that I’ve had to try and sort out ! :laughing:   Enough to try the patience of anyone. 

Just because a company makes a nice sewing machine doesn’t mean their overlockers will be good. 
My sewing machines are Husqvarna but I’m not that keen on their overlockers.  PITA to thread. 
Of course they don’t make them themselves.  Used to be made by Toyota.  Not sure who makes them now as I’m a bit out of the loop. 

Andymat

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 22:26:49 PM »
Thanks for this @Ohsewsimple. It does sound like there are quite a few machines that are made for other companies. I was reading earlier that Jaguar make machines that are branded and sold by other companies. I was surprised that the Bernina 800DL was not made by Bernina! I think they may be making their own now?!

I think the general consensus is not to go with the ALDI/LIDL end of the market as that route could well be a bit of a lottery at best.

Ouryve

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 22:28:50 PM »
Get yourself down to Tully's in Sunderland. It's near TKMaxx. They won't try to oversell and will answer all your questions. I'm in Durham and both my sewing machine and overlocker are from there - they delivered the overlocker themselves!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Andymat

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 22:34:39 PM »
Get yourself down to Tully's in Sunderland. It's near TKMaxx. They won't try to oversell and will answer all your questions. I'm in Durham and both my sewing machine and overlocker are from there - they delivered the overlocker themselves!

Oh yes - It saves on the tunnel tolls too!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 22:35:50 PM »
Yes @Andymat Juki used to make Bernina but as you say I think they make their own now. 
Jaguar also used to make one of the lower end Babylock machines. 

I think out of all the cheapie machines like Lidl I probably had 2 that were usable.  Such a shock when it happened!   :)   Oh and a Necchi where the instruction book was printed so badly it was totally illegible so no use to the owner.  Just hope she remembered how to thread it up after I showed her.   :laughing:

Just a thought.  If you get one from a shop and they show you how to thread it etc, ask if you can film them doing it on a phone.  I did this sometimes so there is a reference to go back to. 

Ouryve

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 22:37:25 PM »
And my Bernina L450 is definitely quiet er than the brother that was demonstrated to me and very easy to thread. Even the brother was quieter than a regular machine zigzagging at full pelt, though!

YouTube is full of threading videos, too, if needed.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ouryve

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 22:39:19 PM »
Oh yes - It saves on the tunnel tolls too!

And faffing with the new and flaky tunnel app!

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 22:51:28 PM »
I think Jaguar might be connected with the old Frister & Rossman company? There is a You Tube video showing the threading - completely different arrangement to other machines. My old overlocker was a Janome and the Jaguar has been a revelation to me - quiet, lovely stitching and the threading revolution.

Ellabella

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 11:25:13 AM »
@Andymat I have bought from the shop in Whitley Bay and they were very nice to deal with and I got a real bargain too.

Mind you this was before COVID, there aren’t the same sort of deals these days.

You won’t regret buying an O/L, they are wonderful.

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 22:47:49 PM »
I have heard that the Brother machines were quite noisy - I wonder if that is one of the reasons why @Ohsewsimple is not keen?

When I bought my Bernina 1150 I tried a Brother, a Pfaff and the Benina.  The Brother sounded really rough but sewed OK, the Pfaff had tension problems! and the Bernina sewed well and quietly. 

As others have said, if you sew much jersey you wouldn't want to be without an overlocker, but they are also good for clean finishing seam allowances on wovens.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Helen M

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 23:15:51 PM »
Regarding Brother's being noisy, the newer ones are noisier than the older ones. Mine purrs along but it's mainly metal  and the newer ones have much more plastic and do sound very different.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55